There are newer employer reviews for Arbitron

Large company benefits, small company comraderie

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Columbia, MD
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Arbitron

Pros

The Human Resources department stresses that Arbitron is committed to employee growth and satisfaction. However, in my epxerience, it all depends on the particular department that one is with that determines the quality of management, growth potential and work-life balance. I would definitely recommend the company to other people.

Cons

There is a lot of senior management, so every project has to be filtered. It takes a while for any little thing to be approved. The final project is never as amazing as the initial concept after being approved by the higher up's. Ideas aren't very fresh; the senior management is a bit stale.

Hire smart people then get out of their way. What is the point in bringing in talented people if they can't express their talent and help move the company forward?

90 Other Employee Reviews for Arbitron (View Most Recent)

Solid Experience, Helped me professionally and then I left

Former Employee - Project Leader  in  Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Project Leader in Columbia, MD

I worked at Arbitron

Pros

-Tuition Reimbursement
    -Work/Life Balance
    -Strong support of professional advancement (courses, conferences, etc.)
    -Interesting Work
    -Stable (for the entertainment industry, which is largely unstable). Never felt like I was on the verge of being fired.
    -Progressive on HR policies
    -Smart Co-workers in most departments (not technology though)
    -Minimal Ego Issues
    -Lots of well earned respect for most of the the top executives.
    -Academic-like mindset in research and development groups.

Cons

-If you're moving up really quick in your career, you unfortunately will eventually need to leave after 3-5 years or so.
    -Technology/Engineering group is particularly weak in talent except for a handful of people.
    -You only hear larger management goals/strategies once in awhile.
    -They struggle with new initiatives outside of their core radio ratings business...nearly all eventually flop.
    -Could benefit from some entrepreneurial spirit.
    -Management is too distant from what the regular employee knows.

-Management needs to be more open with employees about where they want to take the company and listen to employee recommendations once in awhile. Most employees there have smart ideas that could help a great deal and help advance the company.
    -Add some entrepreneurial elements to the job to retain star performers. When I saw really talented people leave it wasn't because they hated their jobs, it was just that they had grown so much that they had amazing opportunities they could take elsewhere and Arbitron couldn't compete by offering them a similar level of responsibility and salary.
    -Don't let your company become too much of a slow moving monolith. Do a better job keeping up with the times while still retaining your core business that you do successfully. It shouldn't be an either or route.
    -Diversify beyond just radio ratings. That will only work for so long.

great pay, easy to get fired

Current Employee - Research Associate  in  Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Arbitron

Pros

great pay and benefits after 90 days

Cons

no room for mistakes or time off

being to strict with time off , relax the laws that be , you will have more happy workers

There are newer employer reviews for Arbitron

Worked for Arbitron? Contribute to the Community!