Arbor Research Collaborative for Health

www.arborresearch.org
  www.arborresearch.org
There are newer employer reviews for Arbor Research Collaborative for Health

Great Relationship with UM - Biostat

Former Employee - Research Analyst (Bio Statistician)
Former Employee - Research Analyst (Bio Statistician)

I worked at Arbor Research Collaborative for Health

Pros

They had many collaborative projects with the University of Michigan. My co-workers were very passionate about the research and I built relationships fo life. The benefits were fantastic!

Cons

Managers were not trained as managers, simply promoted into their positions without any seemingly clear vetting process. They lacked appropriate skills and seemed over-worked. Senior Leadership in general were clearly at odds with each other and lacked basic business and operational knowledge.

10 Other Employee Reviews for Arbor Research Collaborative for Health (View Most Recent)

Great co-workers, bad leadership'

I worked at Arbor Research Collaborative for Health

Pros

Outstanding benefits and PTO package. Great downtown setting.

Cons

Senior Management is greatly lacking in leadership skills. Little communication from the top. Low employee morale.

Good people passionate about their work

Former Employee - Research Analyst  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Arbor Research Collaborative for Health for more than a year

Pros

AR has a lot going for it. The organization is doing well and has opportunities for advancement, but the main advantage is the fantastic office culture. Very few people are there just for the paycheck. You aren't expected to be there 24/7 -- the office is practically empty by 6 pm -- but employees care about the organization's mission and actively work to further it. It is a truly collaborative environment, and its organizational structure reinforces the team mentality without being cultish. Another review here complained about managers not being trained as managers, but I actually felt like promoting from within allowed the managers to understand what needed to be done (as well as pick up slack during the busiest times). My direct manager was one of the best mentors I've had, and I do not think he would have been as effective coming from a pure management background. Perhaps other managers are not as good, but the problem is definitely not universal. Senior leadership was also great. The DOPPS lead PIs are wonderful people who care about you as a person and about the work you are doing. If you've ever worked in an environment where you sit in meetings and watch silently as others take credit for and/or belittle your accomplishments and contributions, you know how deflating and toxic that can be. I never saw that happen here. AR leaders make a conscious effort to acknowledge and thank you in front of your coworkers and collaborators. It makes for a wonderful workplace where you know that others appreciate your efforts. I would absolutely consider working here again if I moved back to the Ann Arbor area.

Cons

The nature of the work makes for fluctuating work demands with considerable extra effort required immediately before proposal deadlines. Some of the external collaborators can be difficult to handle, and the additional burden caused by working with ambivalent or unfocused collaborators is borne almost entirely by the project's analyst. I personally felt some fleeting frustration over this issue, but I imagine it would compound over time; I perceived it to be the main reason for analyst attrition. Because of data security concerns and the desire to quickly hand off projects from one analyst to another, AR can be a bit slow to adopt innovation (see: using SAS for everything, including tasks better handled in R). However, the standardized process helps inexperienced analysts develop and maintain a workflow conducive to reproducible science. The company is also growing somewhat quickly, so the friendly, supportive atmosphere might change in the coming years. (On the other hand, if I had to choose a company that could pull off such a transition, it would be AR.) Overall, there is nothing so bad that it would prevent me from strongly recommending this workplace to friends or family.

Keep up the good work! Do everything you can to keep the current culture intact as you expand the organization. Manage external collaborations more closely to ensure that analyst time is spent wisely and to prevent endless "fishing expeditions" for collaborators with ill-defined goals. Consider making advancement pathway more widely known.

There are newer employer reviews for Arbor Research Collaborative for Health

Worked for Arbor Research Collaborative for Health? Contribute to the Community!