There are newer employer reviews for Arby's

Good complementary job with education.

Former Employee - Crew Member in Stillwater, OK
Former Employee - Crew Member in Stillwater, OK

I worked at Arby's

Pros

The restaurant has a family atmosphere with plenty of future friends waiting to meet you. The salary is very competitive to working at other local fast food restaurants. Benefits of employee discounts are very supportive living on a college budget.

Cons

Extreme age difference between myself, a college student. the managers who were surprisingly older. and the other employees who were predominantly high school students.

Advice to Management

Taking more time to interview your employees would help you to understand that everyone functions differently and not everyone will decide to work harder just by causing them a percentile of grief.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Good job if you don't mind working HARD.

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Arby's

Pros

I will say that if you're loyal to the company they're willing to promote you, & work with you to advance your career there. They also offer some pretty good perks after you've been there a year or longer. If you advance into upper level management as an assistant manager or higher they have contest witinn your regional area with big prizes like cruises, &. Cash. I will say that they will expect managers to work hard especially when you're new and if you're a male. It's not a hard job if you're willing to just get in there and work and you have to be able to stay focused on multiple task and be able to complete them. They will start you off at a higher rate of pay, but don't let that make you think they're just throwing money around without you working for it. Raises are give every six months, & you get raises based on sales at the store you work at, & based on an evaluation given to you by your senior managers. If you take pride in serving fresh food and working in a clean nice environment then Arby's is a great place to be the stores I've worked at have been clean with a health rating of a 96 or higher and I always server hot fresh food by cooking less at a time, & by quality control. The guest don't seem to mind waiting during a non peak period to get hot fresh food it takes more work on everyone's part, but it's worth it to make guest happy and keep them coming back so you can boost your stores sales, which will create more hours for everyone and make bigger and better raises for everyone. They're very labor aware and inventory aware so if you're a manager that stays in top of these things and keeps this in check it will be easy for you to make your bonus checks if you're an assistant manager or higher.

Cons

I've experienced that the upper level management that has been with the company for 5 plus years feel like they're special or something along that line. What I mean by that is they tend to be lazy and push their work off on lower level employees, & I don't mean just delegating everyday task out to others to work on. I've seen first hand that they seem to be good at talking the talk, but after years with the company they think they don't have to do much more work than spout out orders, and follow up to see if they're completed. I guess what I'm saying is they're scared to get their hands dirty and do some work. This isn't true for all the senior management, but I've experienced that most of them have certain things they don't like to do and won't do if they can pawn it off on someone else. Also the women managers feel like some task are for men only, & I would never ask someone to do something that I thought the couldn't physically do, but I know some of the stuff is easy and the people are just being lazy. Arby's is very labor conscious so if you're used to working with a fully staffed crew where the manager doesn't have to work hard and can just sit back and dellagate this jobs not for you managers work here at Arby's. I know every food job has those people that just can't get it and are slow no matter how long they do it or have been there, but they usually don't get alot of hours and definately don't work by themselves. In my time with the company I've seen those people get hours and be the only person on back line, & this wasn't just a one time accident they were cosistantly scheduled like this even after I brought it to upper level managements attention that they couldn't keep up by themselves. The complaint was ignored and I had to continue to be behind because of working multiple positions at once during rush periods causing me tons of unneeded stress. It's due to Arby's not letting you run any over on labor and it's caused the guest & staff to suffer by under staffing where the crew can't keep up at times and the guest are forced to wait long times for service. This can be avoided by giving managers an extra person that they can let go early if they see there's no need for them, but that will rarely every happen here. Shift managers do alot of work and cleaning for the contest that the regions have but they're not eligible to receive any kind of compensation for all there hard work this sucks if you're a manager you should be able to benifit from all contest that the other management benifit from, & if not they should be excluded from doing the extra work envolved in getting ready for any such contest.

Advice to Management

Work hard and make sure that you don't let the upper level managers take advantage of you and use you so they can be lazy. If you have consistant problems that you've tried to address and fix , but they keep being a problem very soon after, don't be afraid to talk to you district manager they should be able to help you come up with a solution for the problem if they're a good manager. Always work hard and try to weed out the bad seeds also never turn down an opportunity to train someone, because if you can train the crew to your standards there will be less work for you and things will run smoothly. I know that the food industry is very stressful, but if you can keep a cool head, & not let it stress you out things will go better for you. If you get frustrated take a min for yourself get yourself composed get back out there. Never let your crew see you letting the stress get to you or get you upset, because they follow the leader and you need to set a good example. Always take charge of the store and crew because your the leader on your shifts you always want to remain in control if not the guest and crew will see that weakness and start running and controlling you. Just do the best you can try to set a good example stay in control, & try to make guest happy because they more sales you can get for your store the better compensated you and your crew will be in the future.

2. Its a terrible place to work.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Arby's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a good place to meet alot of people from all walks of life.

Cons

They treat their management team horribly. There is no consistency. The policies are constantly changing. Store policy is rarely the same as company policy. It makes for a confusing and stressful workplace. I have been in restaurant management for 25 years and this is by far the worst company to work for. Scheduling is random and leaves no room for family. Pay is horrible. I am making 1/3 of what I made in previous management positions in the food industry. Benefits are BAD all around. They do offer vacations but expect to pay you as they see fit. Insurance is costly and not good quality. Sick days are non existant. Lower management is expected take care of things that anywhere else would be considered higher management task. This will not be a long term position for me! I would recommend working anywhere but for Arbys.

Advice to Management

It would benefit your company to look closely at your policies, district managers and pay scales. I would also recommend treating your employees as people and not robots.