Archstone

www.archstoneapartments.com

Meh - it's okay

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant  in  Washington, DC
Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Washington, DC

Pros

Very low stress September - March. Job is easy if you are organized and ACTUALLY do what is asked of you. If you live at an Archstone you also get rent discounts...depending where its like 10%-40% (they tax you on it tho)

If you have a degree AND drink the Archstone Kool-Aid you can definitely move up in the company.

Cons

High stress April - August.

I feel like expectations made in training are great, but i don't feel it translates onsite very well. People seem to take what they like from the classes and ditch what they don't care for. You kind of end up having a lot of people on different pages and it can create problems. Also the training is a lot of just common sense stuff. Its strange when people act so wowed by it all....

I don't know if its common at all communities, but where I work I feel like the roles of the different positions are NOT made clear. Customer service people often take money way from Leasing Consultants by being asked to lease. I often waste my time doing lease alterations that the customer service people won't take off my hands (even though I am doing their job and not getting paid for my efforts). There are other examples of things like this throughout.

It seems like mostly all onsite employees are good people. Nevertheless, some work their butts off, while others coast by or avoid work entirely.

I was told if I preformed poorly I would make around 35k per year. I out preformed all my coworkers and made 32k.

I know others who make 70k+ doing the same thing at other communities. It seems like it ends up being luck of the draw in many different aspects.

Take care of your employees and you don't need to constantly be bringing in new people. If you want to make Archstone the Ritz Carlton of Property Management then compensate your people better and focus in on getting REAL onsite feedback.

Everyone says how everything is so great because no one wants to speak up - only to get in trouble or to be labelled as having a bad attitude for doing so. If upper management could hear the rumblings they would know that all the employees have the same concerns (pay, disconnect between onsite and corporate, under-staffing, and clearly defined roles)

Those who disagree are part of a small minority who either drank the Kool-Aid, faked it because they are shooting for a management position, or they got very lucky with the community they landed.

Other reviews for Archstone

Decent pay, but poor on-site management.

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Washington, DC

Pros

Decent pay, but only because I decided to stay too long. Out of 5, I had only one really good manager that was swiftly moved to a different community once ours was under contract for a sale.

Wonderful training. Our training classes, while long, were always informative and you could tell our trainers really knew what they were talking about and had prepared for class.

Cons

Besides the fact of having a PM degree, I was held back from applying for management positions on more than one occasion, usually with very little explination. I quickly noticed that the "pretty" people made it farther than anyone else. Grown men that were still acted like frat boys made it the farthest. If you really want to go far with Archstone just network with other on site associates and kiss up to as many people as you can in the corporate office.

I was always surprised by the people they chose to put in a management position. A few of my managers didn't know what they were doing, but as long as the numbers looked ok, no one would say anything. Year-end reviews were always surprising too. It always seemed like it was an opprotunity for managers to passive agressively tattle on their employees to corporate, and you didn't really have a choice but to sign it.

The disposition process for a community up for sale is a confusing and frustrating mess. You've been a loyal, long term employee in good standing? Have fun trying to stay with the company. You have to apply for open positions just like any Joe out on the street. You quickly start competing with your coworkers over the same jobs that no one gets a call back for because, why would there be any urgency when you may not have a job in a few weeks? I felt it was really corporate's way of "cleaning house" without getting dirty. It really just ended up being a waste of time and energy on everyone's part.

Commitment to great is a good idea in theory, but leads to a lot of money thrown at the problem, and the problem not resolved. It usually ended up training residents to throw a fit about little things so they could get more money. Training always comes out with some truely wonderful stories of associates that really do go above and beyond for the residents, but what I only witnessed was really how much money do you need/want to make this problem go away. Spending someone else's money does not make you a nice person, compassion does. That's not something you can teach in class.

Really take a good look at the associates you are hiring. You should really be trying to see if they are a compassionate, business-minded individual, with true customer service experience. Snagging managers from the hotel industry has helped, but it's really hit or miss.

Be more honest and up front with your employees. Set rational goals for on-site training outside of policy and procedure for associates to really understand how to handle difficult situations, instead of throwing money at a problem and getting a pat on the back.

Get rid of the penguin suits. Besides not thinking of what I had to wear in the morning, I can't really give a good idea why this look seems professional. The clothing from land's end gets expensive too.
    Even better, now that I'm not with the company, I can't even give away my old uniforms for free! Tells you how excited your employees are about those clothes!

Overall a great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great benefits and knowledgeable leaders.

Cons

Lack of communication in regards to the future of the company and its employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Archstone.

Worked for Archstone? Contribute to the Community!