Archstone

There are newer employer reviews for Archstone

Community Manager

Current Employee - Community Manager
Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Archstone

Pros

Opportunities for continued learning and growth

Cons

The company is constantly improving how things are done so I dont have any negatives as of now

as a leader in innovation I think more focus on educational development for those working for the company without a degree would be a great way to promote more leaders from within.

100 Other Employee Reviews for Archstone (View Most Recent)

Company has gone downhill as a result of decisions that benefitted senior management at the expense of staff...

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President

I worked at Archstone

Pros

My local office was a total pleasure to work in. My boss was great; I learned alot from the other people in the office; and everyone was very accommodating whenever something came up that took me out of the office. I also had good experiences dealing with some of the lower-level and mid-level staff at regional offices across the country.

Cons

The decision-making process at the corporate level is a total disaster. Not only were decisions made that have led to the rapid and continuing shrinkage of the company, but there was essentially zero communication from senior management to staff (even senior-level staff) during the early and mid stages of the financial crisis -- when Archstone's parent company went bankrupt, there was more information in the newspapers and on TV than there was within the company. It is a travesty that the same people who made those disastrous decisions remain in place.

Look yourselves in the mirror and realize that your selfish and short-sighted decision to do the Lehman deal, which lined your pockets, had the result of MASSIVE job losses for employees who'd been loyal to you. There are lives in tatters all across this country as a result of your poor choices. And, if you try to justify it to yourselves by saying "No one could have seen the calamities coming", then you're lying to yourselves, pure and simple...

Archstone is failing

I worked at Archstone

Pros

If you end up with a good staff, they can be a joy to work with.

Cons

Archstone has been devastated by its ill-conceived and disastrous partnerships with Lehman Brothers (out of business) and Bank of America (huge Federal government bail out). While other companies are expanding, building and acquiring properties and new buildings, Archstone is trying to sell off properties, which is causing poor morale within the company, especially those at buildings that have been on the market.

Management does not want to promise employees will be part of Archstone when the buildings are sold. If you want a future, work for a company that is expanding.

If you question the VERY questionable decisions made throughout every level of the company, you will quickly learn how little they want you to stay.

Worst of all, Archstone is committed to building a workforce that views itself as retail instead of professional. Those with a brain and a heart need not apply.

Truly make a commitment to GREAT as you claim you wish to. Stop driving away employees who remember when Archstone was a better company. Start listening to their concerns instead of forcing them out, and stop replacing them with people who do not have experience with our business and with people who are only willing to follow.

It's easier to lead those who never question, but you become a stronger company by answering the questions.

There are newer employer reviews for Archstone