Quickly going downhill.

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Bellevue, WA
Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at ArenaNet as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

* The atmosphere, community and culture here is amazing. Lots of company events and stuff.

* You will work alongside some of the most talented, creative and friendly people you'll ever meet.

* The product, Guild Wars 2, is a great game.

* Always a chance to work OT. As an hourly contract worker, this is nice.

Cons

* Low wages.

* Contract workers are treated poorly, especially considering how they were treated one year before.

* A revolving door, especially with contract workers, means the loss of tribal knowledge. This leads to the same mistakes being made over and over again.

* Poor communication between teams, although I do feel like this is improving.

* Upwards mobility is quickly declining. QA testers were given the opportunity to assist with minor design work before, and that has been revoked.

* QA embeds seem to do a substantial amount of work, compared to other QA workers, yet receive the same compensation and are not given full time status. Once their contract ends, a vast amount of knowledge is lost.

* The leads feel somewhat cliquey, and tend to not associate with their subordinates. This wasn't always the case.

* Some, not all, directors seem callous and downright rude. There are many complaints of verbal abuse and harassment from one director in particular.

* Design teams often neglect community and QA feedback.

Advice to Management

Do not forget your roots! ArenaNet was a great place to work before - QA was an essential part of your success, and many of your current designers and programmers were locally grown. Please remember that by fostering growth from within, you are likely to create much more loyalty.

Please consider taking a deeper look into the unfair treatment, and harassment accusations that plague a specific department. Good people have left already and more are leaving simply because of the way they are being treated.

Be more receptive to feedback.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Middle of the road company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at ArenaNet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with.

Company culture is positive.

Great office.

Good snacks.

Monthly company outings.

Work/Life balance is good.

Cons

On-boarding processes are a mess. VERY sink or swim type of place.

No processes in place for most things other than builds. While this is improving, it is much worse compared to other companies I have worked for in the past.

Compensation is low compared to other places (but so is the crunch time).

Do not have the resources they need when it comes to certain roles. Mostly programming.

Very cliquey within teams.

Changes seem to be based on a person's feeling at that moment in time, and knee jerk reactions seem to come out of those split second decisions.

Advice to Management

Spend some time on Documentation and process - stop trying to shove as much stuff in there in at the end just under deadline and then continue to barrel forward. Stop, reflect and document so others can learn from the mistakes that were made.

Figure out what resources teams really need.

Pay more competitively and in line with other similar companies that are local.

Best company I've ever worked at!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at ArenaNet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture here is awesome. Very family like! The worklife balance is great as our President "Mo" believes that you should not have crunch mode if you plan correctly. I've been in the workforce for over 10 years now and have not been to a company as great as this. I hope to stay here a longtime!

Cons

I don't have any Cons. I could make some up, but I really just don't have any.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! This studio has a great future!!!