ArenaNet

www.arena.net

The Real McCoy

Current Employee - Programmer  in  Bellevue, WA
Current Employee - Programmer in Bellevue, WA

Pros

I didn't know jobs like this existed until I landed at ArenaNet! I've programmed here for nearly 7 years and it continues to be my dream job.

-No crunch
-Development is driven by passion not production milestones
-Incredibly creative, laid-back and friendly work environment
-Collaborative bottom-up development
-Challenging problems to tackle.
-Very flexible with work hours.
-Egos are left at the door
-Very clean and well organized code base with a strong code standard
-Great studio with lots of great amenities(gym, snacks, drinks, game room, etc.)
-Good benefits with profit sharing
-Did I say no crunch?

Cons

Compared to everything I'm grateful for at ArenaNet my complaints feel pretty insignificant.

-Very little documentation and heavy reliance on tribal knowledge
-High expectations and challenging tasks can lead to "sink or swim" work environment
-Requires passion and self-motivation to be successful
-Poor on-boarding process
-Compensation could be more competitive.
-Paid parking

Focus on providing clear direction and expectations while creating better communication across the studio. Figure out how to get new employees up to speed and better integrated into our culture sooner.

Other reviews for ArenaNet

Simply a great company

Current Employee - Team Lead  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Bellevue, WA

Pros

The video game industry is generally a mixed bag. ArenaNet manages to retain the good while avoiding most of the bad. There is a genuine concern about the welfare of the employees and work/life balance. The senior management works hard to be good managers. That means doing their jobs well so that crunch times, wasted effort, and band-aid development is kept to a minimum.

The people here are fantastic. In the short time I've been here, I've formed lots of great friendships. We are motivated, smart, creative people who want to build an awesome game. It's a pleasure to work here.

Cons

We seriously need healthier snack food before we all become diabetic. Also, there is really no where around here that one can walk to for lunch. However, we do have a lunch ordering service so you don't have to drive somewhere unless you want to.

Not to sound like a sycophant, but I've worked at numerous companies over many years and I've never seen a company that is as well run as this one. We need to work on some issues, but management is mostly aware of them and trying to address them.

Best company ever since over 12 years in CG industry.

Current Employee - Character Artist  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Character Artist in Bellevue, WA

Pros

ArenaNet treats employee greatly, keeping balance work and life for us nicely.
    ArenaNet University(inside of the company) provide various education actively for all employee who want to lean more or new.

Cons

All the events and environment for employee are well organized, people are so nice to help as needs.
    Also, schedule wise, I've been scheduled fair amount of time to finish my tasks, which is my favorite part of it.

There are newer employer reviews for ArenaNet.

Worked for ArenaNet? Contribute to the Community!