Great for its size

Current Employee - Artist in Bellevue, WA
Current Employee - Artist in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at ArenaNet full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I’ve been here for over 10 years now because I’ve experienced a lot of negatives at other game companies that don’t happen here, or happen to a lesser extent. The negative stuff I’ve read from others here are things that happen in any and every company with more than 40 employees. Here’s what I think are the pros at ArenaNet: • No demands for overtime. • Very creative, talented, and passionate coworkers. • Management is very approachable and actually kind caring individuals. (the ones’ I’ve gotten to know) • Room for growth and focus from management on individualized career improvement. • Flexible work hours and understanding about work/life balance. • Commitment to profit sharing (last bonus was 25 weeks of pay) The calculations are open and clear, but the timing is not consistent yet. • Freedom to pursue good ideas. (I got to form a team and create content based on an idea I had.) • Good communication between departments. • The usual game company amenities such as free snacks, beverages, gym.

Cons

Most of the cons I’ve experienced much much worse elsewhere, and I think they exist everywhere I’ve worked and I have friends in virtually every game company in America and they all echo this fact. So understand that these are really minor annoyances, not game breakers. • Experimentation with release cadence/style/type/team sizes and configurations, etc. Since Guild Wars 2 is subscription-free and relies on MTX, there’s been a lot experimenting to find out what model of content works best for this. So we’ve shifted gears so many times I’ve lost count. This may be a non-issue within the next couple months or year though. • Over reliance on contractors. We spend a lot of time getting them up to speed, getting to know and like them, and then their contract is up. • You have to pay $55 a month for parking.

Advice to Management

Find a way to hire our contractors full time.

Other Employee Reviews for ArenaNet

Wonderful company, experience varies wildly depending on where you land.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at ArenaNet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay can be competitive depending on role Well stocked kitchen Fun game room Good PTO/holiday policy Lot of smart people work there

Cons

ArenaNet does not train people. That's an actual quote from upper management. You're left to flounder as a new employee and you will receive no feedback at all from your supervisor if you are not meeting his/her expectations. "Management" as it were, is lacking (absent). Since my first day at ArenaNet I never felt guided, instructed, developed or supported. It was a growing experience to be sure but as far as I can tell, management simply can't be bothered to support their team. As others have stated and as continues to be the case, this is very much a "sink or swim" company and they don't seem to care which it is. They don't care about your success because they don't work to further it, and they don't care if you fail because no one will ever step in to help you. You're utterly alone, have no misconceptions about this.

Advice to Management

You (management) exist for one sole purpose, and that is to enable your team. That's it- that's you're entire role in a nutshell. Anytime you're not working to enable and unblock your team, you're underperforming. Employee development is key to a successful company, and employees that are not developed will walk right out the front door with all their knowledge. Management need to actually *be* managers instead of simply shirking those duties they find unsuited to their sensibilities.

Great people and projects. Disappointing opportunities.

Current Contractor - QA Tester in Bellevue, WA
    Current Contractor - QA Tester in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at ArenaNet as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Droves of talented, passionate and hard working people. Lots of projects to be involved with. Stocked kitchen. Very friendly and welcoming teams.

Cons

If you are a very experienced tester or just very familiar with Guild Wars 2 you may feel unchallenged by the work. Tools and training are very context specific. Not much of what you learn carries over to other studios' projects. If you have technical skill or experience you aren't likely to be utilized for it. Despite the welcoming atmosphere there is still a strong and very noticeable resistance to a contractor's input. Pay is extremely low for this industry.

Advice to Management

Guild Wars 2 is a relatively complex game but the testers brought in for certain positions are obviously unqualified for their tasks. Serious efforts have been made to document procedure and train new hires but by the time a new tester has a grasp of everything they need to be effective they quit or their contract ends. The qualifications for the testing positions need to be much higher because a lot of valuable time wasted on training. The pay needs to be better since the work load and skill set is much higher than other studios paying more. The 12 month contract need to go since the projects are part of a continuous development for a living game. There needs to be motivation for a senior tester to return but there can't be if they know their skills and experience are not valued by the studio.