ArenaNet

There are newer employer reviews for ArenaNet

Great for its size

Current Employee - Artist in Bellevue, WA
Current Employee - Artist in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at ArenaNet full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I’ve been here for over 10 years now because I’ve experienced a lot of negatives at other game companies that don’t happen here, or happen to a lesser extent. The negative stuff I’ve read from others here are things that happen in any and every company with more than 40 employees. Here’s what I think are the pros at ArenaNet:

• No demands for overtime.
• Very creative, talented, and passionate coworkers.
• Management is very approachable and actually kind caring individuals. (the ones’ I’ve gotten to know)
• Room for growth and focus from management on individualized career improvement.
• Flexible work hours and understanding about work/life balance.
• Commitment to profit sharing (last bonus was 25 weeks of pay) The calculations are open and clear, but the timing is not consistent yet.
• Freedom to pursue good ideas. (I got to form a team and create content based on an idea I had.)
• Good communication between departments.
• The usual game company amenities such as free snacks, beverages, gym.

Cons

Most of the cons I’ve experienced much much worse elsewhere, and I think they exist everywhere I’ve worked and I have friends in virtually every game company in America and they all echo this fact. So understand that these are really minor annoyances, not game breakers.

• Experimentation with release cadence/style/type/team sizes and configurations, etc. Since Guild Wars 2 is subscription-free and relies on MTX, there’s been a lot experimenting to find out what model of content works best for this. So we’ve shifted gears so many times I’ve lost count. This may be a non-issue within the next couple months or year though.
• Over reliance on contractors. We spend a lot of time getting them up to speed, getting to know and like them, and then their contract is up.
• You have to pay $55 a month for parking.

Find a way to hire our contractors full time.

56 Other Employee Reviews for ArenaNet (View Most Recent)

The happiest I've been at a company

Current Employee - Junior Artist in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Junior Artist in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at ArenaNet full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Great People
    -Fun environment
    -Great Project
    -Full benefits
    -No Crunch
    -Beautiful Building and area
    -Stable

Cons

-Weird politics over headcount (so some teams are understaffed)
    -Not great documentation or task tracking but these issues are improving
    -Paid parking
    -unhealthy snacks

Wonderful company, experience varies wildly depending on where you land.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at ArenaNet full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay can be competitive depending on role
    Well stocked kitchen
    Fun game room
    Good PTO/holiday policy
    Lot of smart people work there

Cons

ArenaNet does not train people. That's an actual quote from upper management. You're left to flounder as a new employee and you will receive no feedback at all from your supervisor if you are not meeting his/her expectations.
    "Management" as it were, is lacking (absent). Since my first day at ArenaNet I never felt guided, instructed, developed or supported. It was a growing experience to be sure but as far as I can tell, management simply can't be bothered to support their team.
    As others have stated and as continues to be the case, this is very much a "sink or swim" company and they don't seem to care which it is. They don't care about your success because they don't work to further it, and they don't care if you fail because no one will ever step in to help you. You're utterly alone, have no misconceptions about this.

You (management) exist for one sole purpose, and that is to enable your team. That's it- that's you're entire role in a nutshell. Anytime you're not working to enable and unblock your team, you're underperforming.
    Employee development is key to a successful company, and employees that are not developed will walk right out the front door with all their knowledge.
    Management need to actually *be* managers instead of simply shirking those duties they find unsuited to their sensibilities.

There are newer employer reviews for ArenaNet