ArenaNet

www.arena.net

Wonderful company, experience varies wildly depending on where you land.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsPay can be competitive depending on role
Well stocked kitchen
Fun game room
Good PTO/holiday policy
Lot of smart people work there

ConsArenaNet does not train people. That's an actual quote from upper management. You're left to flounder as a new employee and you will receive no feedback at all from your supervisor if you are not meeting his/her expectations.
"Management" as it were, is lacking (absent). Since my first day at ArenaNet I never felt guided, instructed, developed or supported. It was a growing experience to be sure but as far as I can tell, management simply can't be bothered to support their team.
As others have stated and as continues to be the case, this is very much a "sink or swim" company and they don't seem to care which it is. They don't care about your success because they don't work to further it, and they don't care if you fail because no one will ever step in to help you. You're utterly alone, have no misconceptions about this.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou (management) exist for one sole purpose, and that is to enable your team. That's it- that's you're entire role in a nutshell. Anytime you're not working to enable and unblock your team, you're underperforming.
Employee development is key to a successful company, and employees that are not developed will walk right out the front door with all their knowledge.
Management need to actually *be* managers instead of simply shirking those duties they find unsuited to their sensibilities.

Great work environment, but poor strategic alignment and focus.

Game Designer (Former Employee) Bellevue, WA

I worked at ArenaNet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: People are creative and desire collaboration, not a lot of needless red tape or… Cons: Very little hunger and need for excellence in some departments. Highly fragmented and craft… Advice to Senior Management: Senior management needs a leadership team to divide the enormous task of getting the right values in place and aligning… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great people struggling together to make an amazing product

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

I have been working at ArenaNet as a contractor for less than a year

Pros: - Amazing coworkers - Respectful environment, contractors treated like people - Great… Cons: - Mediocre compensation - Poor documentation and an over reliance on tribal knowledge - Heavy use of contractors and thus continuous losses of precious tribal knowledge - Constant… Advice to Senior Management: Plan your goals early enough to allow for quality hires / promotions, and then work to keep talent… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on ArenaNet.

Worked for ArenaNet? Contribute to the Community!