ArenaNet

www.arena.net
  www.arena.net
There are newer employer reviews for ArenaNet

Wonderful company, experience varies wildly depending on where you land.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at ArenaNet full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay can be competitive depending on role
Well stocked kitchen
Fun game room
Good PTO/holiday policy
Lot of smart people work there

Cons

ArenaNet does not train people. That's an actual quote from upper management. You're left to flounder as a new employee and you will receive no feedback at all from your supervisor if you are not meeting his/her expectations.
"Management" as it were, is lacking (absent). Since my first day at ArenaNet I never felt guided, instructed, developed or supported. It was a growing experience to be sure but as far as I can tell, management simply can't be bothered to support their team.
As others have stated and as continues to be the case, this is very much a "sink or swim" company and they don't seem to care which it is. They don't care about your success because they don't work to further it, and they don't care if you fail because no one will ever step in to help you. You're utterly alone, have no misconceptions about this.

You (management) exist for one sole purpose, and that is to enable your team. That's it- that's you're entire role in a nutshell. Anytime you're not working to enable and unblock your team, you're underperforming.
Employee development is key to a successful company, and employees that are not developed will walk right out the front door with all their knowledge.
Management need to actually *be* managers instead of simply shirking those duties they find unsuited to their sensibilities.

56 Other Employee Reviews for ArenaNet (View Most Recent)

Great people struggling together to make an amazing product

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at ArenaNet as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

- Amazing coworkers
    - Respectful environment, contractors treated like people
    - Great project
    - Decent mobility between departments
    - Gym available
    - Free snacks

Cons

- Mediocre compensation
    - Poor documentation and an over reliance on tribal knowledge
    - Heavy use of contractors and thus continuous losses of precious tribal knowledge
    - Constant state of priority shift that's disruptive to productivity
    - Too many nearly-complete projects get abandoned and never returned to
    - Hiring needs are not well planned, and many hires are made out of emergency necessity rather than for long term benefit
    - Talent drain, there's a steady trickle of great people being lured away to other companies that offer competitive compensation

Plan your goals early enough to allow for quality hires / promotions, and then work to keep talent within the company. Allow teams to complete the goals you set for them before shifting them to something else.

The Real McCoy

Current Employee - Programmer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Programmer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at ArenaNet full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I didn't know jobs like this existed until I landed at ArenaNet! I've programmed here for nearly 7 years and it continues to be my dream job.

-No crunch
    -Development is driven by passion not production milestones
    -Incredibly creative, laid-back and friendly work environment
    -Collaborative bottom-up development
    -Challenging problems to tackle.
    -Very flexible with work hours.
    -Egos are left at the door
    -Very clean and well organized code base with a strong code standard
    -Great studio with lots of great amenities(gym, snacks, drinks, game room, etc.)
    -Good benefits with profit sharing
    -Did I say no crunch?

Cons

Compared to everything I'm grateful for at ArenaNet my complaints feel pretty insignificant.

-Very little documentation and heavy reliance on tribal knowledge
    -High expectations and challenging tasks can lead to "sink or swim" work environment
    -Requires passion and self-motivation to be successful
    -Poor on-boarding process
    -Compensation could be more competitive.
    -Paid parking

Focus on providing clear direction and expectations while creating better communication across the studio. Figure out how to get new employees up to speed and better integrated into our culture sooner.

There are newer employer reviews for ArenaNet