ArenaNet

www.arena.net

Great people, bad upper management and very little opportunity for growth

Pros* Some of the most passionate and creative people in the industry
* Great work space and location
* Innovative in some aspects
* Free snacks
* Great game to work on
* Family-friendly
* Flexible hours for many

Cons* HR is not great, but it's *sort of* improving. It is a big company, which means they don't spend time on individuals. If you become very sick or have a family emergency, don't expect any kind of sympathy whatsoever from the company. The ladies at the front desk are the only exception.
* Chocolate fountains and champagne != morale boost. Most of the morale building events feel like band-aids rather than actual solutions.
* Directors seem disconnected from the rest of the company and from the player base. Some more-so than others. They provide minimal guidance throughout the development process. They expect more, making you feel like you have to crunch but then once reviews come around they have no problem telling you to completely redo your work. This results in a lot of mandatory crunch.
* They say there's no crunch, but that is simply not true. The scope of this company is ridiculous. They stretch their employees too thin, and act surprised when the content that is being put into the game is buggy or undesired. There are too many teams and too many releases.
* The execution of the Agile environment has been poor. Most of the Producers do not provide enough guidance, and with overzealous developers this gets out of hand very quickly. We are individually expected to scope out our time, but with poor communication between teams it is hard to do this.
* Contract employees that are incredible and go above and beyond are not appreciated. Opportunity for full-time or fair pay is pretty much non-existent.
* Revolving door of employees. We've lost some of the best co-workers due to low wages and unwillingness to try to keep them.
* Upper management seems to only focus on metrics.
* Compensation is just horrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company is not what it once was. It needs better compensation. You guys hype the company up like it's the end-all be-all, but there's very little substance to this anymore. The bi-weekly cadence has been tried and failed. It is killing your business. We're maintaining, yes, but having a graph that spikes but goes back down again feels pointless.

Fun, fast-paced and variegated

German QA Tester (Former Employee) Bellevue, WA

I worked at ArenaNet full-time for less than a year

Pros: Well managed teams, everyone is focused Cons: Personality conflicts are deadly in a small team since there… Advice to Senior Management: Keep it up! Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Unforgettable experience, incredible coworkers, and overall disappointment in management.

QA - Embed (Former Employee) Bellevue, WA

I worked at ArenaNet as a contractor for less than a year

Pros: -Incredibly talented and dedicated developers -Strong and sustainable product with the Guild Wars franchise -Mostly independent of publisher interference due to fiscal success with products -Very relaxed and… Cons: -Conflicting management teams that don’t always communicate effectively horizontally or vertically -Overall attempts to practice agile development, but consistently missing the mark -Frequent mismanagement of resources, especially… Advice to Senior Management: There are two key points that need to be addressed. With so many moving parts within the studio, communication and better standards of development need… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on ArenaNet.

Worked for ArenaNet? Contribute to the Community!