There are newer employer reviews for Argo Group US

Coddles upper management

I worked at Argo Group US

Pros

Good benefits package for company size, good professional experience in global company,

Cons

Company coddles upper management and doesn't listen to employees.

reviews filtered by
  1. Buyer Beware

Current Employee - Middle Management in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Middle Management in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Argo Group US full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company does a nice job of investing in employees' education.
    Nice office in downtown San Antonio.
    I am paid well for the work that I do.

Cons

Half of the company has a VP or Director title - 90% of those VPs and Directors seem to be in their position due to their duration with Argo rather than ability to perform at a high level.
    Many employees have been deceived about compensation. It, like so many other things at the company, seems to be a black hole As a manager, I cannot be straightforward with my direct reports because of information asymmetry (not sure if the lack of information on my side is because of intentional withholding or just lack of competence/caring by my superiors).
    The lack of competence likely starts with the CEO, but in my several years of service, I have never been able to approach him to have a meaningful conversation - he seems to be on a pedestal. I have been unimpressed with his poise and ability to think on his feet at conferences.

Advice to Management

Keep cleaning house of those Middle to Senior Level managers that have grown complacent over the last several years - many have caused the company to move in reverse, or at least not helped the situation with the business reengineering effort.
    Ditch the vendor for the core system - they don't appear to be able to meet the business needs. Its a sunk cost, stop throwing good money after bad. Can they really deliver what Argo needs to be competitive? What is the ROI on that investment? How much have we spent so far, and at what price (layoffs, salary freezes, attrition of good employees because of the frustration of taking 2 steps forward, and 3 steps back?)
    Create more transparency and consistency around the core competencies required to be promoted through the ranks, and then make sure the existing VP's and upper management have those core competencies.
    Create consistent structure and discipline for every aspect of the business and start getting rid of some legacy systems and the outdated, and costly, processes around those systems. Underwriters and Claims personnel do not like having to log into several (insurance) systems to get their work done. Its inefficient and leads to errors and poor reporting.
    Complete thorough (and realistic) due diligence in acquisitions, personnel, and projects - there is a lot of opportunity to improve in ensuring the right people are on the roster and are doing the right things. Stop focusing on the "pet" projects as top priority items. Just because you (upper management) read an ad in a trade journal about the best new product in the industry, it was just an ad, and it likely won't fit within our business model until we can have a fully functioning core system.
    Set realistic goals (EG. timelines) and acknowledge organizational weaknesses, and your own weaknesses - humility and sharing your vulnerabilities can help us be a better team.

2. Weak overall Corp Culture, Some Departments work extremely well together.

I worked at Argo Group US

Pros

Great location in San Antonio, Beautiful office space.
    There are some great people who really care about others and the work they do.

Cons

Lots of turnover on management team. Led to inconsistent culture and operations. The company has expanded via acquisition and has not had the leadership and focus to drive the synergies across all business units.

Advice to Management

Focus more on getting quality leaders for set Argo for future success. Review and address the issue around management turnover.

There are newer employer reviews for Argo Group US