There are newer employer reviews for Argo Tea

Dishonest, does not care about employees, does not care about the environment

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  New York, NY
Former Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Argo Tea full-time for less than a year

Pros

You generally end up working with nice, like-minded people. Employees are furnished a monthly drink card that they can use to purchase a small number of free drinks for themselves, friends, or favorite customers. Their actual leaf teas are very high-quality, and I learned a lot about tea while working here.

Cons

Company lures idealistic young people in by claiming to have an environment of social responsibility, caring about employees, and environmental friendliness. Once the employees are snared, it becomes obvious that none of it is true.

Employees are treated poorly, offered substandard pay, and the benefits offered are more expensive than I could afford even on manager pay - I can't imagine how the baristas were suppose to make use of it. Accounting made every effort to avoid paying me the over time I was due while simultaneously compelling me to work 70 hours weeks. At one point, a General Manager at one of our other locations stood up for her employees during a meeting with the owner of the company, asking for improvements in pay and benefits. She was unceremoniously removed from her position.

Company does not actually care about the environment. During my time, I saw very little effort made to utilize sustainable materials and almost no effort toward recycling. For all their talk about charity contributions, they donate a very small portion of the sales of their least popular drink and the community outreach and partnerships they purport to have are seemingly non-existent.

Company claims to want employees to have a sense of ownership of the company, but moving up is difficult, and you are not allowed to purchase stock in the company unless you are a franchise owner. Where is this sense of ownership supposed to come from, exactly?

I really don't see Argo maintaining a stake in New York unless upper management seriously reconsiders their attitude toward their employees. This is a city of independent coffee shops and baristas. Chains have to work harder here to keep talented, experienced people. During the three months I managed an Argo cafe, I saw an employee turnover exceeding 100%. This bodes not well for a fledgling venture. I'm not sure what kool-aid - or tea infusions - their fans in Chicago are drinking, but NYC clearly doesn't care for the taste.

44 Other Employee Reviews for Argo Tea (View Most Recent)

Honest hard working company

Current Employee - Barista  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Barista in New York, NY

I have been working at Argo Tea full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great training program, supportive staff, there's always someone to listen and they take common sense very seriously.

Cons

Low beginning wages for baristas, some times hire too many people (less tips in the end, not enough work to keep everyone going).

By far my worst experience

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Argo Tea full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free drinks that can be redeemed at all locations....

Cons

Where do I begin? This is hands down THE worst experience of my career. Filthy stores, high turnover, no employee morale or appreciation. Company is "managed" but a group of uneducated hypocrites that never practice what they preach. Hmmm, let's see, you're not making sales, not hitting your labor goals, but hey, lets make someone stand outside in the heat sampling a product no one wants for 25 hours. The company is going nowhere, fast! Take a look at Craigslist...weekly postings for management. Keep pushing your watered down bottled drinks to convenient stores, that's all you're decent at.

Understand that your positions were given to you out of convenience...not because you were deserving. Start treating your TEAms with some decency and respect.

There are newer employer reviews for Argo Tea

Worked for Argo Tea? Contribute to the Community!