Argos

www.argos.co.uk
There are newer employer reviews for Argos

Rapidly growing company with aggressive plan.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Birmingham, AL
Current Employee - Sales Manager in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Argos full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Seem to care about employees. Parent company taking a gamble on US economy with recent acquisitions.

Cons

Communication is cloudy ay best. Lots of ad hoc assignments and long term palnning isn't communicated downstream.

68 Other Employee Reviews for Argos (View Most Recent)

Poor

Former Employee - Customer Advisor
    Former Employee - Customer Advisor

I worked at Argos

Pros

The people are genuine and fun to work with - they make it a pleasant place to work.
    The staff discount.

Cons

I have worked at the company for nearly a year now and I have only just been headset trained. This meaning that I was placed on the till all the time having to cope with the financial targets.

They put me on an extended probation period because I wasn't meeting the FS targets baring in mind that my probation period had successfully ended on my contract. Within the letter I was given my CONDUCT was questioned even though my managers gave me nothing but good feedback.

The same people are put on headsets and the same people are placed on the till. Nothing is changed around.

The rotas are prepared in a short amount of time leaving you no time to plan other things around it. There are never holiday booking forms available therefore you have to go and write on scrap pieces of paper which mysteriously get 'lost'.

The pressure to gain targets is ridiculous and it comes across desperate in briefing.

Managers stand and ask busy staff to serve on tills when they're not doing anything themselves. I understand that they need to monitor the shop floor but standing and bossing people around when you're not doing anything is ridiculous.

Finally the most important - We are expected to stay after our shift finishes unpaid when the store closes. When the store shuts, so does our shifts yet we are expected to stay, unpaid, to help with anything that needs doing in preparation for the next day. If the store is closing and you need us to stay an extra 15 minutes.... add it on to our rota... pay us for it. 15 minutes worth of pay added up into one year is a lot. It's wrong and we're being robbed and not getting paid for extra work.

Take some pressure off the staff and understand that it isn't always about targets. Good customer service is also important.

Fairly woeful place to work

Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Liverpool, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Liverpool, England (UK)

I have been working at Argos part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

On occasion they pay me correctly. This is rare. I have friends that I have met at work.

Cons

Underpay, ongoing abuse of pay system. I have to ask to be paid correctly.
    Health and safety largely ignored if it does not suit.
    Little chance (if any of promotion), company loses talent because they do not provide opportunities.
    Policy regarding everything constantly in flux. Little stays the same for more than a couple of weeks.
    Driven by unattainable targets.
    Bonus abolished.
    Unsocial. Headset makes one appear rude to customers and causes hygiene issues.

You're supposed to set an example and treat your staff well.

There are newer employer reviews for Argos