Argos

www.argos.co.uk
  www.argos.co.uk
There are newer employer reviews for Argos

Rapidly growing company with aggressive plan.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Birmingham, AL
Current Employee - Sales Manager in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Argos full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Seem to care about employees. Parent company taking a gamble on US economy with recent acquisitions.

Cons

Communication is cloudy ay best. Lots of ad hoc assignments and long term palnning isn't communicated downstream.

65 Other Employee Reviews for Argos (View Most Recent)

Brilliant

Current Employee - CSA - Customer Service Assistant in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - CSA - Customer Service Assistant in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Argos part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was a bit skeptical to begin with about agreeing to my contracted hours of just 15 (this is the standard amount of hours employees are contracted to) I wanted more hours, but it turned out that I was working way in excess of that! In the first 10 days I had in fact worked a total of 51 hours! The manager Nigel allowed me to start early UPON REQUEST and even the CSM Darren and Stock Manager Brendan allowed me to stay late - again upon request, there are actually more hours than I had hoped for which is great!

The staff are great, all very friendly and welcoming to trainees - I am now in my second week and have got to know everyone (Nearly) and they are all as pleasant as the next!

Company benefits are fantastic - 10 % discount at Argos and 20% at Homebase, which will be very useful when I renovate my garden next year.

I tend to work hard and with that comes recognition! I have been praised by all the managers and some team leaders! This gave me a confidence boost - what I mean to say is if you work hard, it does NOT go unnoticed and management are very encouraging and supportive if you wish to progress.

Cons

In terms of cons. I am overall very satisfied with everything from how the company is run, the staff, the hours and my job!

If anything - I enjoy hearing their advise!

Really Enjoyable

Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Argos part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

While studying, working part time at Argos was perfect for me. I felt the mangers in the stores I worked in were incredibly accommodating when it came to requesting time off for other commitments but also in providing more hours when I needed to earn some extra money.

The staff I worked with were also great. There was a mix of young and old but there was always a culture of 'we're all in this together' and I never felt like I was segregated from one group or person. Moreover, when the store became busy as it regularly did, there was always a sense that everyone was prepared to help everyone else; for example if there was a build up of customer waiting on the tills, a member of staff would jump on there to help off their own initiative without having to be told by a manager.

There also seems to be a real drive to promote from within and I have seen many of my past team mates move onto higher positions.

Cons

With some of my other workers, I saw that some of the challenges for them is that they could sometimes get shoehorned into a certain department, like jewelry or the stockroom for example and never have the opportunity to do a bit of job rotation. This meant that for some staff work could be quite boring. For me the way to overcome this was to simply ask managers or team leader if I could rotate to a different role, a request that always seemed to be granted.

For me the training needs to be updated a little. When I was there we were made to watch videos etc and they seemed a little out of date.

There are newer employer reviews for Argos