Has its issues, but not a bad place for instructors to work

Former Employee - Instructor  in  Minneapolis, MN
Former Employee - Instructor in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Argosy University part-time for more than a year

Pros

The working conditions were good - they made an effort to orient new P/T instructors. They also seemed to appreciate instructors. The compensation was quite competitive. They also had profit sharing options even for P/T instructors.

Cons

At the time they seemed to be catching up with instructional technology. Like many online or private for profit universities, their advising and admissions staff seemed underpaid and a bit overwhelmed.

Better integration of support services for staff and instructors is needed.

Other Reviews for Argosy University

Great Friendly and Professional... in the Short Run

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Argosy University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

At the very local level, the campus has really good people working there who are honest compassionate and caring. It is a good starter job with great training, especially in sales. Years later, I am still friends with people I worked with at Argosy... there is a bond.

Cons

Above the local level things get rough. Decisions are repeatedly top down with little to no consideration of students, employees or implementation and are ironically often reversed. Also, an acute fear of reprieval exists on the campus management level. In one instance a PhD senior faculty member who was diagnosed with terminal cancer felt the need to keep it a secret until a week before she died. She hid this because she was petrified that if she revealed her condition she would be fired. Sadly, I agree. Illinois is an at-will state and employees can and are fired for whatever reason. One day this included the campus President, Director of Operations, Director of Human Resources, One of the IT guys and a worker from the library. I mention this because job security and being fired is a consistantly and openly stated fear in the company, even among the best employees.

Additionally, there is little career growth on the campus level. A person doesn't move up from a local campus level... or it is very very difficult and yet to be demonstrated in my four years of working there. The hours and pressure to get admissions can be intense and at the local campus level it is a very high context environment. In other words, you are very aware of your place and rank when things get tense.

When looking for other jobs, I have been told that the for-profit education sector's former employees are judged unfairly in interviews and it can become a vortex that keeps you in for-profit education (though I have never experienced that myself, nor have I known of anyone NOT getting hired because of their for-profit experience per se).

Finally, there is a lot of pressure with lawmakers and the gainful employment laws. Massive lobbying has apparently taken the teeth out of the legislation, but there was a lot revealed when congress did those investigations. As a result, morale is rock bottom, management doesn't get it and this is why the stock is the lowest it has ever been. With the way things are, I would bet Argosy is being poised to be purchased. I do not expect this company to survive in the long run. All in all, it's a good starter career and I would advise not continuing one's employment there beyond 2 years.

I don't even know where to begin. There needs to be genuinely good, strong leadership that cares about students and employees on a national level. A culture of bringing out the best in employees is crucial and advancement in salary and rank is crucial as well. would also advise an acute awareness of managerial rules and the effects they have on employees and students. .

Dissappointing

Former Employee - Non Teaching, Administration Position  in  Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Non Teaching, Administration Position in Eagan, MN

I worked at Argosy University

Pros

Not many - the hours were easy with no pressure to work weekends, be in early or stay late. Easy going that way. Some nice people.

Cons

Highly unorganizied and inefficient. Horrible communication. Awful payroll practices at the campus level - borderline incompetent. EDMC regional and corporate in Pittsburg, which manages/controls critical details, clearly does not value employees in any way - noncompetive pay, poor and expensive beneifts, horrific benefits communication, little to no management training, nonexistant communication. Constant change of policy and procedure in an organization that is driven by policy and procedure.
    I had an employment experience that was unethical and just not the right way to treat anyone. A series of incompetent leadership decisions. No communication or true leadership, possible outright deception and misleading discussions early in the employment relationship. I can't tell you that this was wide spread, but it did come from the highest position on campus and involved EDMC leadership.

You've got to come to a better balance of local campus control vs. corporate control. One size does not fit all in your ed systems. Employee friendly systems need to be put in place, especially in your new hire process. Be honest with your employees at all times - no games, as it is likely not a game to your employee. Your noncompetitive pay will eventualy catch up to you once the economy improves, because the other things you offer aren't that great to retain people.

There are newer employer reviews for Argosy University.

Worked for Argosy University? Contribute to the Community!