Argosy University

There are newer employer reviews for Argosy University

Sales...not educational job

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Orange, CA
Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Orange, CA

I worked at Argosy University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay, Incentives, Good team

Cons

Lack of stability
Lack of honest job description
3 strikes rule
No commission
not a marketable tool

Be honest.

52 Other Employee Reviews for Argosy University (View Most Recent)

Has its issues, but not a bad place for instructors to work

Former Employee - Instructor in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Instructor in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Argosy University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The working conditions were good - they made an effort to orient new P/T instructors. They also seemed to appreciate instructors. The compensation was quite competitive. They also had profit sharing options even for P/T instructors.

Cons

At the time they seemed to be catching up with instructional technology. Like many online or private for profit universities, their advising and admissions staff seemed underpaid and a bit overwhelmed.

Better integration of support services for staff and instructors is needed.

Great Friendly and Professional... in the Short Run

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Argosy University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At the very local level, the campus has really good people working there who are honest compassionate and caring. It is a good starter job with great training, especially in sales. Years later, I am still friends with people I worked with at Argosy... there is a bond.

Cons

Above the local level things get rough. Decisions are repeatedly top down with little to no consideration of students, employees or implementation and are ironically often reversed. Also, an acute fear of reprieval exists on the campus management level. In one instance a PhD senior faculty member who was diagnosed with terminal cancer felt the need to keep it a secret until a week before she died. She hid this because she was petrified that if she revealed her condition she would be fired. Sadly, I agree. Illinois is an at-will state and employees can and are fired for whatever reason. One day this included the campus President, Director of Operations, Director of Human Resources, One of the IT guys and a worker from the library. I mention this because job security and being fired is a consistantly and openly stated fear in the company, even among the best employees.

Additionally, there is little career growth on the campus level. A person doesn't move up from a local campus level... or it is very very difficult and yet to be demonstrated in my four years of working there. The hours and pressure to get admissions can be intense and at the local campus level it is a very high context environment. In other words, you are very aware of your place and rank when things get tense.

When looking for other jobs, I have been told that the for-profit education sector's former employees are judged unfairly in interviews and it can become a vortex that keeps you in for-profit education (though I have never experienced that myself, nor have I known of anyone NOT getting hired because of their for-profit experience per se).

Finally, there is a lot of pressure with lawmakers and the gainful employment laws. Massive lobbying has apparently taken the teeth out of the legislation, but there was a lot revealed when congress did those investigations. As a result, morale is rock bottom, management doesn't get it and this is why the stock is the lowest it has ever been. With the way things are, I would bet Argosy is being poised to be purchased. I do not expect this company to survive in the long run. All in all, it's a good starter career and I would advise not continuing one's employment there beyond 2 years.

I don't even know where to begin. There needs to be genuinely good, strong leadership that cares about students and employees on a national level. A culture of bringing out the best in employees is crucial and advancement in salary and rank is crucial as well. would also advise an acute awareness of managerial rules and the effects they have on employees and students. .

There are newer employer reviews for Argosy University