There are newer employer reviews for Argosy University

The entire time I was there, it was frustrating and awful.

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Sarasota, FL
Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Argosy University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a decent salary and benefits. They also really took the time to train you on most of the job requirements. Also, the Sarasota campus did occasional events and potlucks. And when I left, the admissions team was great. My coworkers really supported each other and worked to help each other out. Most importantly, there was no "cutthroat" atmosphere in admissions...it was frowned upon to "steal" students from another admissions rep. This made it a much more collaborative environment.

Cons

There are plenty. I had a few major frustrations. One being the challenge of getting students. You never technically do any cold calling, but there are so many leads that are provided that were mistakenly made. The database of leads was ridiculous. They were having us call leads that were 5 years old (yes, you read that right). That's how bad the business was. There was such a lack of new leads that we were having to go that far back. And of course, it would be your funeral if you tried to bring up the fact that the leads were crap. You'd be spoonfed a statement like "there's no such thing as a bad lead." Absolute garbage. The other major frustration I had was the restructuring of the company. They changed the management of regions and we had a new regional manager type (I forget the actual title), who was in charge of a few of the Argosy locations. This person was awful. They used intimidation and they had absolutely no people skills at all. This person didn't like the approach of one of the admissions reps, so they sat at the AR's desk for hours one day. They also talked down to others, which was not ok. My other issue was with the employee review process. There are several competencies, like professionalism, product knowledge, student focus, and a few others. Now say that you don't hit your expected numbers. They will start to change your different competencies from "exceeds" or "meets expectations" to "below expectations." It's frustrating to be completely professional at all times and representing the company well, but as soon as you're not hitting your numbers, they might say "well, if you're not getting students, then you must not be professional." But since they can't actually fire you for not hitting your numbers, then this is how they have to do it I suppose. Ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Stop using fear tactics to manage others, and treat them with respect. Also, the whole slideshow presentation given to students is not working.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. A for-profit IHE that values instructors with real-world knowledge and experience

Former Employee - Administrative II in Alameda, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative II in Alameda, CA

I worked at Argosy University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The students were great and the instructors knowledgeable. Class times were convenient and the level of discourse raised my thinking. The work required to earn a degree is rigorous, but worth it.

Cons

The online component can sometimes be heavy on papers and "busy work." The sacrifice of face-to-face interaction among students and the instructor has to be weighed against the convenience of attending online.

Advice to Management

Appreciate those who hold the Argosy culture. It can go a long way to improving morale.

2. I was a student and was an adjunct instructor

I have been working at Argosy University

Pros

Love the programs and faculty.

Cons

I was waiting and waiting to teach courses and many times I was not offered a course to teach for month on in. I wish they were more professional. I am still waiting to teach courses there.

Advice to Management

There should be more professional faculty schedulers. I am very disappointed that I was not offered courses to teach when I did such a great job there.