Great benefits and good pay, but high turnover can be frustrating

Current Employee - Associate Consultant  in  Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Ariba

Pros

The benefits package is quite generous. If you're planning on working for Ariba from somewhere other than California, you'll still get the "West Coast"-style benefits package. As a company, Ariba is a strong competitor and has the right solutions for the market. The economic downturn may not necessarily mean a down-cycle for Ariba, since our Spend Management solutions are needed now more than ever.

Cons

Failure to remain highly chargeable makes you a top target for layoffs. Ariba tends to layoff a small number of people every few months, so if you hit a low-cycle in your work, you could be next to go. Rather than hold onto talent through slow periods, Ariba tends to cut employees and hire new ones when business picks up again. This means a constant stream of often poorly-trained employees. It is also easy to get pigeon-holed into a role: if you start with a particular application, you'll probably stick with it for a long time through many projects.

You need to do a better job of retaining talent. While it may be slightly cheaper to let folks go and hire new ones in a few months, you are letting a lot of smart folks go. Keeping them on will pay long-term dividends.

Other Reviews for Ariba

If you want to play on a team this company is not for you

Former Employee - Product Manager  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Ariba

Pros

Good compensation package and in line with other companies in Silicon Valley CA

Cons

This is high school clicks all over again. While the folks on an individual level were very smart and high performing, as teams they did not play well together, nor did the teams communicate well across all organizational lines. The opportunity here is tremendous - but lack of leadership in this area will get in their way.

You need to build of culture of responsibility and team. I enjoyed my short tenure at your company but it was clear to me that as an individual I could only get so much done and the lack of team culture would limit my impact.

Come for the money, benefits and experience; just don't stay too long.

Current Employee - Customer Support  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Ariba

Pros

Benefits package for full time employees is amazing. Even part timers have some great benefits. Salary is very good as well.

Cons

Management does not follow through on what they are supposed to do. Customer support focuses on hiring people with no technology or support experience and simply people that got degrees they knew were going to be worthless post college. Pittsburgh management is so slim and filled with unqualified and untalented folks who are barely qualified to have an entry level position. Management promotes more into management that are even more unfocused and unqualified than those that are already in that position. Disparate arms of the company have no clear interaction or understanding of the "big picture". The solutions we provided are so bloated with code that is not needed or necessary the functioning is severely degraded. Oh and the top level support technicians will do anything possible to not have to respond to a customer in off hours situations with customers reporting major issues/ outages.

Fire everyone in customer service and try to remember you are an INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY company. Stop hiring unqualified people and then promoting them into management. Take a closer look at some of the few and far between Gems you do have and promote them.

There are newer employer reviews for Ariba.

Worked for Ariba? Contribute to the Community!