There are newer employer reviews for Arizona Public Service Company

Overall a great place to work

Former Employee - Intern in Phoenix, AZ
Former Employee - Intern in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

They pay is really good for a Master's level internshp. I was also eligible for a bonus which was really exciting. If you are a year-round intern, you are also eligible for benefits which is really helpful. My co-workers really valued my knowledge and previous experience. My leaders also gave me lots of opportunities to stretch myself and have visibility to exexcutives.

Cons

-There really isn't a formal internship program unless you are an engineer. -Some of the business units can be a bit "old school" and not really value the experience and knowledge that the interns can bring. -There are a lot of politics played within some of the business units. -There was no end plan in mind when they brought me on as an intern.

Advice to Management

Keep the great talent that you are bringing in. Have a game plan for every intern that you bring in.

Other Employee Reviews for Arizona Public Service Company

APS has changed for the worse.

Current Employee - Coordinator in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Typically competitive pay and benefits will keep you here. Paid time off and freedom of using it is great. Many different job opportunities to move around and up. Most employees are fun, energetic, knowledgeable and willing to help. Very diversified work force.

Cons

Horrible management staff only concerned about meeting the numbers which are pencil whipped anyway. Employees promoted and given raises based on personal feelings not the ability of the employees. Safety is not the number one concern as they preach. The open door policy with your leader and manager can get you fired. No accountability above leaderships levels. #1 saying at APS by management..."Just be happy you have a job" told to rooms of employees who really want to make a difference. As a customer as well as a employee I can see the tremendous waste management not only allows but promotes which raises my cost as a consumer and is frustrating as an employee.

Advice to Management

Let your knowledgeable and willing staff to do their jobs. Realize we are a company that sells a product and the production, service and reliability of that product should be our #1 concern. Anonymous 360 reviews from randomly selected employees above and below their position to help weed out the bad apples. HR .....really?

2. Reasonable pay, great benefits

Current Employee - Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Slow work style if that is what you are looking for. Projects are well funded and plentiful. They have more work than workers. Benefits are outstanding. Unusually good in this economy. You can negotiate everything. The culture is very different. If you are a hard worker and know how to get along well with people, you will do well here. People who slack are shunned. The company is much more ethnically diverse than a lot of places in this city.

Cons

They are actively getting rid of all of their older workers. It's getting tough to find someone who knows the systems well. Almost everyone starts here as a contractor and converts. There are few women in positions of authority, it is a bit of a sausage fest.

Advice to Management

Get management that wants to be here and that can properly communicate with the rest of the company. Executives are in an ivory tower. I've seen exactly one executive in the past year and a half, and he said some blatantly stupid stuff that really surprised me.