Arizona Public Service Company

www.aps.com
  www.aps.com
There are newer employer reviews for Arizona Public Service Company

Used to be a great place to work

Former Employee - Systems Analyst/Integrator II in Phoenix, AZ
Former Employee - Systems Analyst/Integrator II in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Arizona Public Service Company

Pros

The retirement options are better than most places. If you are a full time employee you can easily coast on 8 hours a day and check out. Coming out on top as a great employee is easy because there are plenty of employees who aren't fully competent regarding their duties.

Cons

Corporate culture is stressful. The changes to the IT organization have devastated the organization and the bleeding hasn't stopped. Getting things done is hard because of all the wrong process and documentation gets in the way. Waterfall is heavily used to the point of being comedic.

The IT organization needs to take a hard look at itself, look outside, follow industry standards and needs to stop thinking they are the smartest people ever which causes excessive amounts of complexity that serves no purpose and increases technical debt. Compensate your employees for what they are worth and let them know you care, stop treating them like assets and treat them like people. Management shouldn't feel like they are on a throne, come off it and relate to your team.

63 Other Employee Reviews for Arizona Public Service Company (View Most Recent)

Perpetually ineffective. Essentially a government entity run under guise of publicly traded organization.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Arizona Public Service Company

Pros

Competitive pay and benefits. This isn't surprising as its like working for the government.
    Nice corporate facilities.
    If your a smoker you only have to work 10hrs a week since you can take 50 breaks a day.

Cons

Worst HR organization I have ever interacted with.
    Most of the non-corporate facilities look like they are falling apart.
    Employees expect a certain amount of overtime per year regardless of work load.

Replace your HR leadership. Quit playing musical chairs with existing employees by adding outside talent. Stop the inbreeding of internal knowledge and take advantage of the wealth of outside experience that new blood can add. APS is the corporate equivalent of a person who chooses not to work for a decade and then expects to return to the workforce with outdated credentials.

Overall a great place to work

Former Employee - Intern in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Intern in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Arizona Public Service Company

Pros

They pay is really good for a Master's level internshp. I was also eligible for a bonus which was really exciting. If you are a year-round intern, you are also eligible for benefits which is really helpful.

My co-workers really valued my knowledge and previous experience. My leaders also gave me lots of opportunities to stretch myself and have visibility to exexcutives.

Cons

-There really isn't a formal internship program unless you are an engineer.
    -Some of the business units can be a bit "old school" and not really value the experience and knowledge that the interns can bring.
    -There are a lot of politics played within some of the business units.
    -There was no end plan in mind when they brought me on as an intern.

Keep the great talent that you are bringing in. Have a game plan for every intern that you bring in.

There are newer employer reviews for Arizona Public Service Company