There are newer employer reviews for Arizona Public Service Company

Great opportunity to learn the business

Current Intern - Communications in Phoenix, AZ
Current Intern - Communications in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Arizona Public Service Company as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

I was fortunate enough to have a mentor who was very hands-on and enjoyed working with me and providing feedback. I was always given guidance with my projects but not so much that I was micro-managed. I very much was satisfied with the amount of experience I was able to gain from the short time I have been there. The people I worked with were a definite plus -- there is little to no drama within my department, unlike some others within the company. I was offered a year-round position with benefits and a 401K and incentive eligibility after only 10 weeks of working there. I was also able to travel, meet people and see how the company runs.

Cons

It is generally a very corporate place. There's not a lot of flexibility on positions within a department, so you'll have to climb the corporate ladder so to speak when trying to get employed there. The interview process took a very long time (around four-six months end to end) and some employees are very dissatisfied there. Most employees are nearing retirement age and don't like that things are changing in the business. It's a very top-down environment corporate-wide but each daily experience is made solely by the people you work with, not the company as a whole.

Advice to Management

Sometimes, politics can get in the way and procedures are outdated. Offer some flexibility and continue moving in the right direction and everyone will eventually be on the same page! Continue rewarding top-performing employees and you'll continue recruiting top talent.

reviews filtered by

Okay company with decent pay, not as good as it used to be......

Current Employee - Design Engineer III in Tonopah, AZ
    Current Employee - Design Engineer III in Tonopah, AZ

I have been working at Arizona Public Service Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The work is relatively easy and very few of the departments require overtime, so it can be expected to head home at the normal time each day. Vacation / Paid Time Off (PTO) is better than most companies and compressed work weeks are routinely offered. Pay and potential bonuses are slightly higher than the industry average.

Cons

With the work being relatively easy, it is not very challenging and gets to be rather mundane. Recent upper level management changes have taken decision-making abilities away front front-line employees and lower managers, with decisions coming only from the top. This has resulted in a culture of increased micro-management, decreased value of front-line employees, and unrealistic goals being established by upper management. The company values, culture, and employee morale have deteriorated consistently for the the last 3-4 years.

Advice to Management

Upper level management is making too many decisions and setting unrealistic goals. Front-line employees and 1st/2nd level management should be empowered to make the best decisions while staying in line with the high-level goals/metrics. Employee morale must improve in order to retain talented individuals, otherwise they will leave for better opportunities.

Fossil Generation Intern

Former Intern - Fossil Generation Intern in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Intern - Fossil Generation Intern in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Arizona Public Service Company as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work environment, they treat the interns really well and really want to draw you in.

Cons

NEO Program (New Engineers in Operations), as engineers we want to work on the engineering side of the company not the operation side. Since all new recruits are funneled into this program it leaves you with little choice about your career path at the beginning. They promise you can move around once you are finished with it, but it makes more sense to let the employee decide prior than training him for 2 years and having him moved later.
    With all the contractors running around lately it makes me worry about the job security of the in house engineers. The desire to contract everything out is ridiculous and does not promise the job security people would like to have. This is maybe one reason why they are funneling all their new hire engineers into operations and not the engineering department.

Advice to Management

Stop laying off all the engineering department and contracting it out... half your problems come from that. every new batch of contractors that come in have to learn the equipment setup before they can work. This leads to inefficient and scattered trains of thought not to mention they make the work way more complicated than needs be.