Arizona Public Service Company
www.aps.com Phoenix, AZ 5000+ Employees

Great opportunity to learn the business

Communications (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

ProsI was fortunate enough to have a mentor who was very hands-on and enjoyed working with me and providing feedback. I was always given guidance with my projects but not so much that I was micro-managed. I very much was satisfied with the amount of experience I was able to gain from the short time I have been there. The people I worked with were a definite plus -- there is little to no drama within my department, unlike some others within the company. I was offered a year-round position with benefits and a 401K and incentive eligibility after only 10 weeks of working there. I was also able to travel, meet people and see how the company runs.

ConsIt is generally a very corporate place. There's not a lot of flexibility on positions within a department, so you'll have to climb the corporate ladder so to speak when trying to get employed there. The interview process took a very long time (around four-six months end to end) and some employees are very dissatisfied there. Most employees are nearing retirement age and don't like that things are changing in the business. It's a very top-down environment corporate-wide but each daily experience is made solely by the people you work with, not the company as a whole.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes, politics can get in the way and procedures are outdated. Offer some flexibility and continue moving in the right direction and everyone will eventually be on the same page! Continue rewarding top-performing employees and you'll continue recruiting top talent.

Okay company with decent pay, not as good as it used to be......

Design Engineer III (Current Employee)
    Tonopah, AZ

I have been working at Arizona Public Service Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: The work is relatively easy and very few of the departments require overtime, so it can be expected to head home at the normal time… Cons: With the work being relatively easy, it is not very challenging and gets to be rather mundane. Recent upper level management changes have taken… Advice to Senior Management: Upper level management is making too many decisions and setting unrealistic goals. Front-line employees and 1st/2nd level management should be empowered to make the… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Fossil Generation Intern

Fossil Generation Intern (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Arizona Public Service Company as an intern for less than a year

Pros: Good work environment, they treat the interns really well and… Cons: NEO Program (New Engineers in Operations), as engineers we want to work on the engineering side of the company not the operation side. Since… Advice to Senior Management: Stop laying off all the engineering department and contracting it out... half your problems come from that. every new batch of contractors that come… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Arizona Public Service Company.

Worked for Arizona Public Service Company? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Arizona Public Service Company reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Arizona Public Service Company CEO Don Brandt. All reviews posted anonymously by Arizona Public Service Company employees.