Arizona State University

There are newer employer reviews for Arizona State University

On Campus Positions

Former Employee - Student Worker in Tempe, AZ
Former Employee - Student Worker in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Arizona State University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible, understanding towards school schedules. You are hired by the department head, and your scheduling is at their discretion. They are typically looking for a good attitude and work ethic.

Cons

You are expendable, and student worker positions can be hard to come by.

Raises occur rarely, typically after you have worked a full semester it goes up minutely.

Some areas require heavier supervision and enforcement on scheduling

473 Other Employee Reviews for Arizona State University (View Most Recent)

Great colleagues, horrible administrators

Former Employee - Project Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Arizona State University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working with many of my colleagues and we had great working relationships that were very supportive. It was neat to work on a college campus and I enjoyed working with the students. Tuition reimbursement is a nice perk...probably the only one. The medical benefits were initially good when I first started. My boss was supportive of me continuing my education.

Cons

The administration is a nightmare and many are downright demonic in their management tactics. There is a lot of bullying behavior that takes place. There is little to no professional development opportunities. No raises or cost of living adjustments. They expect a lot but do not reward exemplary performance. The cost of parking is outrageous. The benefits are not what they used to be, but they try to convince you that ASU has the best benefits package around. Trust me, you can do better else where. The HR department is a joke and useless. Ironically, they are the best paid employees on campus...I guess they look out for their own. As much as ASU touts their sustainability practices, they are very archaic in their views about telecommuting. If you are seeking a job that allows you to work from home occasionally, then ASU is not your place. They also do not offer flexible work schedules.

Instead of catering to the faculty all of the time, be supportive of your staff. There are a lot of talented individuals at ASU who are burned out because of a lack of growth incentive and many are leaving for greener pastures. If you are unable to offer raises due to budget issues, then offer other incentives such as telecommuting or flexible work schedules.

Pros and Cons

Former Employee - Systems Analyst Associate in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst Associate in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Arizona State University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people I worked with were the best. Great team, great work ethic.

Cons

The pay was terrible. The job security was nill. The politics that drove the departments and how they interacted with each other and their employees was the worst.

Treat your employees like people instead of additional pieces of office equipment.

There are newer employer reviews for Arizona State University