Arkansas Power Electronics

www.apei.net
There are newer employer reviews for Arkansas Power Electronics

Management

I have been working at Arkansas Power Electronics

Pros

Small company. Flexible time. Plenty of parking space.

Cons

Management is inexperienced. Medical benefits are not competitive. Financial limitations of a small business. The company does not have a clear direction.

7 Other Employee Reviews for Arkansas Power Electronics (View Most Recent)

Great opportunity for me

Current Employee - Engineer in Fayetteville, AR
    Current Employee - Engineer in Fayetteville, AR

I have been working at Arkansas Power Electronics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I'm always amazed by the people in this company all around-- some of the smartest, most creative, and generous and caring people I've ever worked with. I've made great friends here. I've been able to work on exciting projects and technologies. I've had great opportunities to advance my career. They offer benefits like tuition reimbursement, great flex hours, and stock options. I've always worked well with my managers and teammates. We have a great reputation as a business.

Cons

They have really tight deadlines for us at times. The company emphasizes stretch targets-- I think things might be too ambitious at times. We need additional resources in some support areas in the business (like HR or facilities management). We're new at the manufacturing side of the business.

It would be helpful to have a more organized inventory management for the engineering side. I'd like to see more emphasis put on facilities safety where we're dealing with power. University courses and professional short courses are all great, but we could have more internal courses taught by the experienced engineers (I think that would be really beneficial).

Exciting and challenging

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fayetteville, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fayetteville, AR

I have been working at Arkansas Power Electronics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked at a number of companies since the late 1980's. By a long shot, APEI has been the most fun, exciting, and challenging of them all. In general, we hire very talented employees that are intelligent and highly skilled. I feel the company really cares about me, my future, my daily work life, and offering me a path to continue my professional growth. The company has good direction in a good field, and has had great yearly growth every year I've worked here. APEI seems to work hard to get smart and creative people.

Cons

There are some cons. APEI is a small business, so you need to wear different hats sometimes, or do things outside your immediate job role. I like this, but some peope don't. Things are pretty fast, and so you need to like fast pace. The management expects you to be self directed and self motivated most of the time, so I've noticed the newer Gen Y sometimes have a hard time adjusting to that.

Hire more older and experienced people. We have good young talent, but a large portion of our workforce is under 40. Try to broaden recruitment geographically. Provide more "soft skills" training to the engineering staff.

There are newer employer reviews for Arkansas Power Electronics