Interesting state of the art R&D in the new SiC power field

Current Employee - Lead Engineer  in  Fayetteville, AR
Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Fayetteville, AR

I have been working at Arkansas Power Electronics

Pros

(1) Exciting and challenging projects and research (get to do some cool stuff)
(2) Interesting and fulfilling work on spacecraft (NASA), military, energy, and next gen automotive systems
(3) Goood benefits, flex time, salary, bonuses, tuition reimbursement, etc.
(4) Stock options
(5) Great colleagues, peers (intelligent, fun, really positive work atmosphere), and management
(6) Our company seems to work hard to get the right people "on the bus"

Cons

(1) Requires multi-tasking several projects at once (not my favorite thing to do)
(2) Work load sometimes requires 45-50 hour work week
(3) Small business, so sometimes have to tackle engineering or other tasks outside my immediate expertise (but this also gives me opportunities to learn new things)
(4) Fast paced (sometimes, really fast paced)
(5) The technology we work on is pretty far out, so it takes a while before we get to see it in end products

Let's get MORE people. But let's keep them being "the right people" too. Let's keep the cool projects coming in. I'd like to see more technology get out of the "research" phase. I'm excited to see the manufacturing facilities ramping up- more of us might like the opportunity to be involved that.

Other Reviews for Arkansas Power Electronics

Management

I have been working at Arkansas Power Electronics

Pros

Small company. Flexible time. Plenty of parking space.

Cons

Management is inexperienced. Medical benefits are not competitive. Financial limitations of a small business. The company does not have a clear direction.

Exciting and challenging

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fayetteville, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fayetteville, AR

I have been working at Arkansas Power Electronics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've worked at a number of companies since the late 1980's. By a long shot, APEI has been the most fun, exciting, and challenging of them all. In general, we hire very talented employees that are intelligent and highly skilled. I feel the company really cares about me, my future, my daily work life, and offering me a path to continue my professional growth. The company has good direction in a good field, and has had great yearly growth every year I've worked here. APEI seems to work hard to get smart and creative people.

Cons

There are some cons. APEI is a small business, so you need to wear different hats sometimes, or do things outside your immediate job role. I like this, but some peope don't. Things are pretty fast, and so you need to like fast pace. The management expects you to be self directed and self motivated most of the time, so I've noticed the newer Gen Y sometimes have a hard time adjusting to that.

Hire more older and experienced people. We have good young talent, but a large portion of our workforce is under 40. Try to broaden recruitment geographically. Provide more "soft skills" training to the engineering staff.

There are newer employer reviews for Arkansas Power Electronics.

Worked for Arkansas Power Electronics? Contribute to the Community!