Good Entry-level Experience

Former Intern - Inside Sales in Chapel Hill, NC
Former Intern - Inside Sales in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Hands-on work experience, friendly environment, managers/supervisors are very approachable and willing to offer advice. Contests in the sales department and pretty casual dress. Decent summer job, internship during college, or first "real-world" position.

Cons

For the inside sales department, some calls may be cold calls. Occasionally you'll encounter less-than-satisfied customers. Fair amount of rejections which you'll need to counter. The summer gets pretty hectic.

Advice to Management

The mobile app and coupons are great ideas, but as a college student who used the planner all 4 years I honestly had no idea until I began working at UD that these pages existed. Often while redeeming a coupon businesses remark that they don't receive many from customers. I've actually been thanked multiple times for redeeming the offer. I think the app and print coupons are theoretically sound, but the app is admittedly finicky, and the planner deals could be advertised better. I'd suggest 1) better visibility of the physical coupons (i.e. a starburst on the planner cover) and 2) emphasizing to clients their role in promoting the coupon via social media, etc. Additionally, from working in ISD I'd really recommend reaching out to customers before inside sales resumes and an increasingly forward approach to touching base with clients. Many customers responded that my call about a sale was the first they'd heard from UD since renewing or signing a contract over the summer. Taking initiative and reaching out to customers, asking for feedback and offering to promote their deals prior to selling emphasizes that the advertisement is a relationship, not just a sale. Additionally, a few minutes over the course of a couple months would undoubtedly lead to more successful advertising. This would greatly help customer retention. Better client retention would in turn benefit summer sales, many of which came way too late creating artwork problems.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

everyday was different!

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

every day is different which made it challenging

Cons

none that I can think of

Advice to Management

keep doing what your doing

2. Internships

Former Intern - Outside Sales Representative in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Intern - Outside Sales Representative in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The experience was very valuable in terms of making contacts and learning about selling to local businesses. Great training sessions for all interns! Company always created competitions to motivate sales interns.

Cons

Required to make 30 sales calls a day in the blistering heat. Territories aren't evenly distributed and can provide little opportunities for sales.

Advice to Management

Explore alternative ways to advertise on the behalf of local businesses. Print is dying.