AroundCampus

There are newer employer reviews for AroundCampus

Good Entry-level Experience

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Chapel Hill, NC
Former Employee - Inside Sales in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Hands-on work experience, friendly environment, managers/supervisors are very approachable and willing to offer advice. Contests in the sales department and pretty casual dress. Decent summer job, internship during college, or first "real-world" position.

Cons

For the inside sales department, some calls may be cold calls. Occasionally you'll encounter less-than-satisfied customers. Fair amount of rejections which you'll need to counter. The summer gets pretty hectic.

The mobile app and coupons are great ideas, but as a college student who used the planner all 4 years I honestly had no idea until I began working at UD that these pages existed. Often while redeeming a coupon businesses remark that they don't receive many from customers. I've actually been thanked multiple times for redeeming the offer. I think the app and print coupons are theoretically sound, but the app is admittedly finicky, and the planner deals could be advertised better. I'd suggest 1) better visibility of the physical coupons (i.e. a starburst on the planner cover) and 2) emphasizing to clients their role in promoting the coupon via social media, etc.

Additionally, from working in ISD I'd really recommend reaching out to customers before inside sales resumes and an increasingly forward approach to touching base with clients. Many customers responded that my call about a sale was the first they'd heard from UD since renewing or signing a contract over the summer. Taking initiative and reaching out to customers, asking for feedback and offering to promote their deals prior to selling emphasizes that the advertisement is a relationship, not just a sale. Additionally, a few minutes over the course of a couple months would undoubtedly lead to more successful advertising. This would greatly help customer retention. Better client retention would in turn benefit summer sales, many of which came way too late creating artwork problems.

221 Other Employee Reviews for AroundCampus (View Most Recent)

Challenging but rewarding

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You get to work with some really cool people your age. You really get to know tons of people from your college town.

Learning the basic art of selling is tested on a daily basis here.

Cons

Cold calling door to door at businesses. Some businesses see your ads as really worthless, so you have to be ready to back up your product at all times.

everyday was different!

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

every day is different which made it challenging

Cons

none that I can think of

keep doing what your doing

There are newer employer reviews for AroundCampus