There are newer employer reviews for Art Institute of Chicago

repotism rules, might makes right...Old boys network persists...

Former Employee - Professor in North Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Professor in North Chicago, IL

I worked at Art Institute of Chicago full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

where are your connections? Does your spouse need a job? We'll give slide your spouse into a partime position if you take on a tenure track....

Cons

Your secrets are safe with us. Transparency is a myth.

Advice to Management

Look at your legacy. Consider your karma. Find your humanity. Look within.

Other Employee Reviews for Art Institute of Chicago

Great professional experience, including research and art handling. But I wish the internships were paid.

Former Employee - Curatorial Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Curatorial Intern in Chicago, IL

Pros

The Art Institute is a world-class museum that is a great setting for getting exposure to the inner workings of curatorial departments. If you become a full time regular employee, you also get a great set of benefits that even includes free tuition to SAIC classes.

Cons

If you are an intern, even if you have worked (unpaid) at the museum for months on end, it is still incredibly difficult to get a job there because it is so competitive. Having worked there for 9 months in two different departments, I have interviewed for a few full-time regular jobs and been given feedback ranging from "we wish you had an MA" to "we're not hiring you because you might leave and go to graduate school soon." At least, that is what has been implied. It's frustrating!

2. A nightmare

Former Employee - Adjunct Assistant Professor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Adjunct Assistant Professor in Chicago, IL

Pros

Exciting place to be and work because of the museum.

Cons

Administration needs an overhaul -- male dominated: bullies and tough guys...age of darkness paradigm as a necessity for personal advancement among administrators...this place ruins lives. no compassion. Work there at your peril. If you are an instructor or an adjunct you are in deep trouble and your days will be numbered.

Advice to Management

Find your heart, soul, humility and compassion. Get off your high horse. Look at the websites and jaundiced links of your staff.