There are newer employer reviews for Art Institute of Chicago

repotism rules, might makes right...Old boys network persists...

Former Employee - Professor in North Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Professor in North Chicago, IL

I worked at Art Institute of Chicago full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

where are your connections? Does your spouse need a job? We'll give slide your spouse into a partime position if you take on a tenure track....

Cons

Your secrets are safe with us. Transparency is a myth.

Advice to Management

Look at your legacy. Consider your karma. Find your humanity. Look within.

0 reviews filtered by
Employment Status

Reset

Solid place for an internship

Current Intern - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Current Intern - Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Art Institute of Chicago as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun, interesting colleagues who are invested in their work; exciting and very busy atmosphere; amazing galleries to stroll around during breaks

Cons

Huge institution, can be easy to fall through the cracks a bit if you don't have people watching out for you or you're not assertive enough

Great professional experience, including research and art handling. But I wish the internships were paid.

Former Employee - Curatorial Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Curatorial Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Art Institute of Chicago

Pros

The Art Institute is a world-class museum that is a great setting for getting exposure to the inner workings of curatorial departments. If you become a full time regular employee, you also get a great set of benefits that even includes free tuition to SAIC classes.

Cons

If you are an intern, even if you have worked (unpaid) at the museum for months on end, it is still incredibly difficult to get a job there because it is so competitive. Having worked there for 9 months in two different departments, I have interviewed for a few full-time regular jobs and been given feedback ranging from "we wish you had an MA" to "we're not hiring you because you might leave and go to graduate school soon." At least, that is what has been implied. It's frustrating!