There are newer employer reviews for Art Institute of Chicago

AI-OC

Former Employee - Faculty in Costa Mesa, CA
Former Employee - Faculty in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Art Institute of Chicago full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stable and reliable business, plenty of room to grow, good salary, good benifits.

Cons

Super corporate. Coming from a teachers point of view (I taught in the Graphic Design department) there were always a lot of extra duties assigned to you (even if you do other extra curricular things for the school voluntarily), and lots of corporate mandates that would come down to us from some mythical 'regional dean'. It is possible that my experiences are a reflection of that one locations administration (specifically my department chair and school dean), as it seems that each school has it's own culture and vibe.

Also, because they will literally take anyone as a student (as long as you can pay for it) there is a serious lack of motivation with some students and a lot of resentment among others because of the high tuition costs.

Advice to Management

Be nicer to all of your teachers, not just your favorites!

reviews filtered by
  1. repotism rules, might makes right...Old boys network persists...

Former Employee - Professor in North Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Professor in North Chicago, IL

I worked at Art Institute of Chicago full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

where are your connections? Does your spouse need a job? We'll give slide your spouse into a partime position if you take on a tenure track....

Cons

Your secrets are safe with us. Transparency is a myth.

Advice to Management

Look at your legacy. Consider your karma. Find your humanity. Look within.

Solid place for an internship

Current Intern - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Current Intern - Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Art Institute of Chicago as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Fun, interesting colleagues who are invested in their work; exciting and very busy atmosphere; amazing galleries to stroll around during breaks

Cons

Huge institution, can be easy to fall through the cracks a bit if you don't have people watching out for you or you're not assertive enough

There are newer employer reviews for Art Institute of Chicago