There are newer employer reviews for Art Institute of Houston

OK place for teaching part-time

Current Contractor - Adjunct Instructor in Houston, TX
Current Contractor - Adjunct Instructor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Art Institute of Houston as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

I enjoy quite a bit of freedom as to how I teach and grade. Students are motivated but often under prepared. Facilities are new and colleagues are friendly. School goes by quarter system so I get to refine the syllabus every 12 weeks. There is free parking and can contribute to 401K.

Cons

Like any adjunct teaching, there is not enough money if you rely only on this income. They can cut class any time. There is no office for instructors, just cubicles, which most part-time instructors don't even bother to visit. It's quite hard to feel like you are part of the team when you just go and teach your classes and leave.

reviews filtered by
  1. Good pay, but stressful environment

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Houston, TX

I have been working at Art Institute of Houston full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are fun and the pay is good.

Cons

It's a sales job, but the clients are mostly people who can't afford a $50 application fee and we are selling a 90k education...

Micromanaging doesn't make for a good working environment

Awful, all lies, sales job!

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Houston, TX

I worked at Art Institute of Houston full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people that work there and the paycheck.

Cons

Not what they make it seem like during the interview process, once you are hired then you find out how awful of a place it really is. Sitting in a cube for a period of 8 hours or more calling off canceled lists, inquiries from years dating all the way back to 2000. Managers are awful and disrespect you. They hover over you and try to intimidate you by watching your every move. They will listen in on your phone calls to make sure you are being robotic when trying to convince and coerce a student to come in. Then they make you manipulate a student by telling them that they're getting this amazing education when in fact it is a six figure degree you might as well go to a REAL university. A lot of manipulation and conning I don't know how these people and the Institute still exists. Awful place to work! Do not work here is the advice I would give any person looking for a job desperate or not.

Quit hovering over your employees they are all doing their jobs, word to the wise, manipulation and conning will come back to you. Being disrespectful to your employees and talking down to them as if they are children, is the main reason why your turnover is so high.

There are newer employer reviews for Art Institute of Houston