Art Institute of Houston

www.aii.edu
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Art Institute of Houston

OK place for teaching part-time

Current Contractor - Adjunct Instructor in Houston, TX
Current Contractor - Adjunct Instructor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Art Institute of Houston as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

I enjoy quite a bit of freedom as to how I teach and grade. Students are motivated but often under prepared. Facilities are new and colleagues are friendly. School goes by quarter system so I get to refine the syllabus every 12 weeks. There is free parking and can contribute to 401K.

Cons

Like any adjunct teaching, there is not enough money if you rely only on this income. They can cut class any time. There is no office for instructors, just cubicles, which most part-time instructors don't even bother to visit. It's quite hard to feel like you are part of the team when you just go and teach your classes and leave.

24 Other Employee Reviews for Art Institute of Houston (View Most Recent)

The problems begin at the top and work their way down to the students

I have been working at Art Institute of Houston full-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule and the freedom to teach however you would like to teach. You are required to cover certain course competencies but how you do this is generally all up to you. Some of the students are passionate about their chosen field of study.

Cons

Admissions will let anyone in, and Upper Management's lack of focus on quality education and lack of faculty support drag the overall experience of the faculty and the students down. The low salary range limits the quality of teachers and support people.

Good pay, but stressful environment

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Houston, TX

I have been working at Art Institute of Houston full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are fun and the pay is good.

Cons

It's a sales job, but the clients are mostly people who can't afford a $50 application fee and we are selling a 90k education...

Micromanaging doesn't make for a good working environment

There are newer employer reviews for Art Institute of Houston