There are newer employer reviews for Art Van Furniture

positive

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Shelby Township, MI
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Shelby Township, MI

I have been working at Art Van Furniture

Pros

Solid company
Great people
Great merchandise
Great training
Great managers
Leader in industry
Lots of advertising and promotions that do bring in customers
Good business plan and lots of tools for salepeople to utlize for professional development and honing sales skills and product knowledge.
CEO is a mastermind -- if only he coul do everything I'm sure he wants to.
Company is a family business and sometimes families can be a little dysfunctional.

Cons

Long weekends and evenings away from family
Cheezy advertising and too many sales that overtake television and radio to the point of annoyance. There is always a better sale around the corner and customers know it. Difficult to create urgency. Better be clever and collect names and numbers and follow up.
Terrible IT -- computers slow, crash often. Archaic database causes much frustration for guests and employees. Internal C2C system for tracking prospects and customers is not user-friendly therefore useless since no one uses it as intended.
Micromanagement is frustrating.
Lots of waste -- plastic bottles are never recyled at corporate or in store locations. Signage, tags and catalogs ordered in excess.
Top performers are shown favortism and management often turns a blind eye to actions that would get any other sales associate reprimanded.
Hours of operation change on whim to meet sales goals wothout consideration of employees desire to balance work and home.
Working retail is very tough if you have a spouse and children.
Hard to make money without working 6-7 days a week as many hours you can handle. This requires a lot of sacrifice to your personal life and your health. Expect problems with your legs, feet, back, hips, etc... Physically demanding job.

-Invest in technology so we can better do our jobs. If the company embraced transaparency, empowered employees, purchased reliable computers with internet access, provided email addresses for all employees, etc.. productivity and sales would soar.
-Take pride in employee work spaces just as you do in the showroom floor.They are dismal.
Create flexible schedules and give employees more empowerment to make decisions and take accontability.
Keep the micromanagement to a minimum.

reviews filtered by
  1. Run don't walk

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Detroit, MI

I worked at Art Van Furniture

Pros

IF you can stick it out decent benefit package. Excellent training program.

Cons

What upper management envisions the company to be and what it actually is once you get to the store couldn't be more misaligned. Very high pressure. Some incompetent management. Very long hours with crazy sales where hardly anyone comes in anyway. No team atmosphere, as a new employee other salespeople actually taunt you and watch for you to fail rather than help. Top producers find themselves coming in 6 or 7 days to keep their status. Different sales that you have to learn several times per week. Earning potential greatly distorted.

Some of the store management needs serious revamping. When it is viewed as ok when new employees are treated poorly "thats just the way it is", there is no excuse for that. It starts at the top. I understand crazy sales to draw attention, but the hours are just ridiculous and if there were analysis of sales made during those hours, I doubt that it is worth putting your salespeople through it for meager $$$. Some stores may be having all of the fun but Art Van salespeople sure aren't. They are all very negative and appear to hate their jobs. Kim Yost has some fantastic vision, but it is not being executed on a store level that I can see. I talked to associates at 4 other stores that I knew, that went through the same training as I did and all of the experiences were similiar which lead me to believe that it wasn't only my store but problems within the whole infrastructure.

2. disatisfied

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Sterling Heights, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Sterling Heights, MI

I have been working at Art Van Furniture

Pros

Benefits are the best reason to work there.

Cons

The company has the "do or else mentality".

Get educated and learn management skills

There are newer employer reviews for Art Van Furniture