Art Van Furniture

Great merchandise
Great training
Great managers
Leader in industry
Lots of advertising and promotions that do bring in customers
Good business plan and lots of tools for salepeople to utlize for professional development and honing sales skills and product knowledge.
CEO is a mastermind -- if only he coul do everything I'm sure he wants to.
Company is a family business and sometimes families can be a little dysfunctional.

ConsLong weekends and evenings away from family
Cheezy advertising and too many sales that overtake television and radio to the point of annoyance. There is always a better sale around the corner and customers know it. Difficult to create urgency. Better be clever and collect names and numbers and follow up.
Terrible IT -- computers slow, crash often. Archaic database causes much frustration for guests and employees. Internal C2C system for tracking prospects and customers is not user-friendly therefore useless since no one uses it as intended.
Micromanagement is frustrating.
Lots of waste -- plastic bottles are never recyled at corporate or in store locations. Signage, tags and catalogs ordered in excess.
Top performers are shown favortism and management often turns a blind eye to actions that would get any other sales associate reprimanded.
Hours of operation change on whim to meet sales goals wothout consideration of employees desire to balance work and home.
Working retail is very tough if you have a spouse and children.
Hard to make money without working 6-7 days a week as many hours you can handle. This requires a lot of sacrifice to your personal life and your health. Expect problems with your legs, feet, back, hips, etc... Physically demanding job.

Advice to Senior Management-Invest in technology so we can better do our jobs. If the company embraced transaparency, empowered employees, purchased reliable computers with internet access, provided email addresses for all employees, etc.. productivity and sales would soar.
-Take pride in employee work spaces just as you do in the showroom floor.They are dismal.
Create flexible schedules and give employees more empowerment to make decisions and take accontability.
Keep the micromanagement to a minimum.

Run don't walk

Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

I worked at Art Van Furniture

Pros: IF you can stick it out decent benefit package. … Cons: What upper management envisions the company to be and what it actually is once you get to the store couldn't be more misaligned. Very… Advice to Senior Management: Some of the store management needs serious revamping. When it is viewed as ok when new employees are treated poorly "thats just the way… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

disatisfied

Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Sterling Heights, MI

I have been working at Art Van Furniture

Pros: Benefits are the best reason to work there. Cons: The company has the "do or else mentality". Advice to Senior Management: Get educated and learn management skills No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Art Van Furniture.

Worked for Art Van Furniture? Contribute to the Community!