There are newer employer reviews for Art.com

Truly a global experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Emeryville, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Art.com full-time

Pros

International growth is a huge part of this company's success. We have websites and employees in several different countries and have many transplants from Europe and Asia working in our corporate office. This really is a global company, which leaves tons of room for sales growth for the company but also interesting personal development opportunities for employees.

Cons

The company sets aggressive goals each year and sometimes struggles to meet such a high bar. It's a mixed bag. The ambitious goals stretch us farther than we would have otherwise gone, but lagging behind a goal can be frustrating especially when you otherwise had a great year. We are growing every year and should celebrate that more.

Celebrate the wins more, there are plenty, and keep pressing forward on international expansion.

83 Other Employee Reviews for Art.com (View Most Recent)

Market Leader with great potential!

Current Employee - Management  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Management in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Art.com full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Company is market leader with a significant lead in a very large but fragmented market. The Company has greater international market penetration and revenue composition than almost all eCommerce peers. Senior management has significant tenure and experience. Art.com has dominant market position, but is not complacent and does not operate (ostrich-like) like market leaders of other products/industries as it has experienced ups-and-downs from economy and opportunistic smaller competitors. I genuinely enjoy working with the team I am part of and the teams I work with. The Company is still small enough that cross-functional groups work well together and individuals at all levels have an opportunity to impact and influence results. As an example, each year, relatively new employees are added to the roster of MVP's for their exemplary results/efforts. I have been working here more than 2X any other Company so it's obvious that I am a supporter!

Cons

Since the "Great Recession" that followed the US banking collapse, the Company's topline performance has been pretty volatile. As a growth company, Art.com always has pretty significant/aggressive growth goals and when the Company faces externally-driven obstacles to its business, it can generate the normal challenges in morale that occurs when a company is not firing on all cylinders.

Good place to work, learn, and growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Art.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Friendly place; lot of helps when you need it
    - Good working environment with good IT support...first day at work, I had everything ready to go.
    - Leading edge technology in the infrastructure areas. Managers also support trial and errors.
    - Business team is solid; products and customer services are good; otherwise, company can't last that long (over 10 years) and expanding.
    - Like the free giveaway & employee discount
    - No issue with approaching C-level...I think CEO has a good sense of humor. I really feel his passion about making the company great & bringing value to everyone.
    - The company mission and values are clear and meaningful! I tested how well we committed to our mission and values by ordering a few pieces from my company. The experience was tremendously positive; the products I purchased (we have employee discount) were high quality, The whole experience was enjoyable.

Cons

I think we can do better planning...looks like we are trying to do too much (I know there's a lot to do)...but we need to be realistic. We need to prioritize the work better so that we can focus on the biggest bang for the bucks! Also, I think the company somewhat reluctant to cancel in-flight projects even though everyone knows (including the stakeholders) the end results aren't going to meet the business cases. Let's focus on a few key items and hit it out of the park.

Emeryville is nice...but without a car, you can't go anywhere...We acquired a firm in Menlo Park - perhaps, we can allow folks to work there? What about an office in SF?

Make sure you take care of the employees; watch for burn out, laser focus on a few items (not wide net), and keep all the positive things going

There are newer employer reviews for Art.com

Worked for Art.com? Contribute to the Community!