Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

www.ajg.com
  www.ajg.com
There are newer employer reviews for Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

A family owned company that has grown too quickly for management to handle.

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Charlotte, NC
Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Generally good atmosphere, managers prefer to leave you alone as long as there are no complaints.

Cons

No pay raises for over five years, yet they were always on a buying spree to grow the company. Training is nonexistent. Very little feedback to employees.

Pay some attention to your customers instead of your acquisition targets.

201 Other Employee Reviews for Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. (View Most Recent)

A large workload to carry

Current Employee - Senior Claims Adjuster
    Current Employee - Senior Claims Adjuster

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They helped me advance my career as far as getting promotions and I am forever thankful for that. I have had some really wonderful supervisors here who were like mentors to me. A lot of my co-workers are really helpful and knowledgeable as well. I only have had one instance where taking off was an issue and that was a senior management blunder.

Cons

Male chauvinism is definitely a huge problem. After several years at the company it is clear to me that a lot of the males in management positions should not be there. They don't care enough to make an impact. Some years I did not even get raises (same with a lot of others who were very deserving) and, to me, it is a crime to not cover inflation. And this is all while the company was doing well financially. One promotion I received didn't even come with the pay. I'm sure it is different in every branch as far as the workload but the particular branch I'm in has a lot of good adjusters leaving with no authority from corporate to replace them, thus saturating the adjusters that are left. I know a lot of adjusters that work at night and on the weekends that are telecommuters and it appears there is no relief in sight. The teleworkers sacrifice personal time just to ensure they can keep working from home since that is the threat if your work "escalates". Everything has the potential to escalate daily - diary, contact forms, tasks, detailed status reports. They also monitor email weekly. I find I have to take personal time to create lengthy coverage disclaimers or evaluate demand packages.

Evaluate where each teleworker is at because if you actually knew what they go through, you would find it sickening. If they are working many additional hours just to manage their workload eventually they will get burned out. Replace people that leave and consider the nuances of each client from a qualitative perspective instead of looking at the numbers and assuming it is manageable. The branch I'm in feels like a sinking ship and morale is very very low.

Very Collaborative Firm, Too Many Acquisitions, Too Many Amateur Managers

Former Employee - Account Executive in Marlton, NJ
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Marlton, NJ

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people abound in this company. Everyone is trying to find someone to solve their problem. You have 2 ways to get fed, be related to the Gallagher Clan in some way, or be part of a practice group. Happy I left this place behind.

Cons

Acquisitions, acquisitions, acquisitions...dilutes the flavor of the company. I started working at Gallagher, but ended up working for another firm (because of an acquisition) that I would NEVER have worked for. Gallagher does not care about employees because they are always saying they made a ton of money, but they never have money for raises. Cheap, go figure. Firm promotes 'Most Ethical Company' Status, but that is a cover for all the shady politicking that goes on at this firm. Local management are wimps. Regional management stays behind the curtain and plays chess master with employees. Plays fast and loose for a public company. Benefits are sub-par for a firm of this size. Cheap, cheap cheap company....yet they make soooo much money. They talk culture, but its snow. Wall Street first....employees last.

Upper management is making too much money to take advice.

There are newer employer reviews for Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.