Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

www.ajg.com
  www.ajg.com
There are newer employer reviews for Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

Career opportunities, but some dumb people in power, and they don't love the employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Larkspur, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Larkspur, CA

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are definitely good opportunities for growth depending on which area of the organization you work in. I worked in a small field office with a great boss for Gallagher Benefit Services and mostly had a good experience. You get an opportunity to work with a lot of different people and that's very helpful for career and personal growth. Benefits were ok - not great - with the exception of the 401(k) plan because they have an awesome match.

Cons

Ivory tower headquarters sometimes would dictate incredibly unworkable and stupid plans to the field offices.

There are good people in the organization and there are also some incredibly lame ones. Never fun when the lame ones are in a position of authority and make really stupid decisions that impact everyone!!

One thing that bothered me was how willing Gallagher was to screw the employees if it meant pleasing the shareholders. (I imagine it's the same for all the large corporations?) When the economy tanked a few years back they stopped giving raises and they froze all holiday parties. The economy started recovering, stock prices started rising and then they still wouldn't give raises or let you have holiday parties. I can't tell you the # of lame "explanations" I heard from corporate leadership. They pushed as hard as they could without wanting to give back.

With all that said, I don't regret the 10 years I spent there. But I'm very glad to be at a smaller company now that values employees much more than Gallagher did.

For GBS, so much of your business is with the field offices...get their input before you let some practice leader sell you on an idea that you need the field offices to buy into in order for it to work.

205 Other Employee Reviews for Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. (View Most Recent)

Wonderful company with lots of growth and positive culture.

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

Pros

The company is a very positive place to work with lots of activity, growth through organic sales and acquisition, and generally a great place to work. The CEO is a wonderful guy with a very engaging style and is able to talk to any group and make them feel welcome and appreciated. The company is built on a core set of values that really drive their culture. I would like to work here again in the future.

Cons

Some areas of the company do not have a good work/life balance. Depends on your manager (like a lot of places).

None.

A family owned company that has grown too quickly for management to handle.

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Generally good atmosphere, managers prefer to leave you alone as long as there are no complaints.

Cons

No pay raises for over five years, yet they were always on a buying spree to grow the company. Training is nonexistent. Very little feedback to employees.

Pay some attention to your customers instead of your acquisition targets.

There are newer employer reviews for Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.