There are newer employer reviews for Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.

Great company undermined by inept local branch management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great brand, market leverage, name recognition and resources

Cons

Old boys club. If you are a middle aged white man you will never, ever be fired. Doesn't matter how poorly he's performed. Insufficient accountability of poor performers. Generally their work load is reduced but pay remains the same. Revenue generated by top performers underwrites low performers existence.

Advice to Management

Your workforce should be as diverse as your client base. A predominantly middle aged white male leadership team sends the wrong message. Visit the local offices, listen to the top performers and affect change

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

A mixed bag

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some branches have shorter hours or better perks, but it is strictly on branch by branch basis. A large company with potential to move to another branch if you are moving your family.

Cons

There are too many managers, especially at the regional level and up, who are not as competent as they should be, and they tend to hold the company back. Computer systems are extremely poor, slow, and antiquated. They keep a computer software working long past useful life. There seems to be no accountability; and people who do not work are not made to do so. Especially if they are in a protected class. This causes much additional work for the rest. They made a lot of effort this year to say they would attempt to properly compensate their top performers, but top performers weren't getting raises either.

Advice to Management

There is too much emphasis on acquiring revenue; rather than growing revenue from within or by managing current business effectively.

2. Career opportunities, but some dumb people in power, and they don't love the employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Larkspur, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Larkspur, CA

I worked at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are definitely good opportunities for growth depending on which area of the organization you work in. I worked in a small field office with a great boss for Gallagher Benefit Services and mostly had a good experience. You get an opportunity to work with a lot of different people and that's very helpful for career and personal growth. Benefits were ok - not great - with the exception of the 401(k) plan because they have an awesome match.

Cons

Ivory tower headquarters sometimes would dictate incredibly unworkable and stupid plans to the field offices. There are good people in the organization and there are also some incredibly lame ones. Never fun when the lame ones are in a position of authority and make really stupid decisions that impact everyone!! One thing that bothered me was how willing Gallagher was to screw the employees if it meant pleasing the shareholders. (I imagine it's the same for all the large corporations?) When the economy tanked a few years back they stopped giving raises and they froze all holiday parties. The economy started recovering, stock prices started rising and then they still wouldn't give raises or let you have holiday parties. I can't tell you the # of lame "explanations" I heard from corporate leadership. They pushed as hard as they could without wanting to give back. With all that said, I don't regret the 10 years I spent there. But I'm very glad to be at a smaller company now that values employees much more than Gallagher did.

Advice to Management

For GBS, so much of your business is with the field offices...get their input before you let some practice leader sell you on an idea that you need the field offices to buy into in order for it to work.