Artist and Craftsman Supply

www.artistcraftsman.com
Unclaimed Profile
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Artist and Craftsman Supply

Great Selection and Great Prices but TERRIBLE place to work.

I worked at Artist and Craftsman Supply

Pros

Good selection of art supplies and great prices. When your store meets sales goals you get a gift card to buy stuff.

Cons

A&C is a cool place to go as a customer, but as an employee... hang on to your hat!! The owner micromanages his staff to a severe level and can be very vengeful and hateful for no reason. He directs you to do things and then chews you out a week later for doing it.

Advice to Management

COMMUNICATE LOGICALLY WITH YOUR MANAGERS and stop setting them up for failure. If you trust them a little more, your company will grow and grow and grow.

reviews filtered by
  1. Store Manager

I worked at Artist and Craftsman Supply

Pros

The discount of course was considerable. Can't beat it if you are an artist especially when, like myself, your matierials are on the expensive side: oil paints and mediums, brushes, canvas, stretchers, and such. I was the store manager and given a carte blanche to revision the entire store as it was in a basement and dismally underperforming when I accepted the task of running it. Remember, this extremely strenuous and frequently frustrating experience is what I am calling a PRO comment!! It was one of the most satisfying work experiences I ever had. From being an underperforming store before I became the manager to turning it around and getting my store paying it's own rent in less than a year, I still take great pride in that accomplishment. It was a very very difficult job and had to be approached from every angle possible to figure out how to make it succeed. It was absolutely primary to get the store looking and feeling exciting, 'sexy', fun, welcoming, and customer-centric. We had to gather customer feedback in any way we could, know what they wanted and needed and get it on the shelves. The intricacies of being responsible for a business that was on the verge of being closed or thriving was like a tightrope walk. The most interesting thing about that period was that it was so difficult and yet it was one of the best jobs I ever had. Though I was thoroughly exhausted by the time it was over I felt a lot of pride in what I had been able to accomplish.

Cons

Working 60 or 70 hour weeks sometimes. I still don't know how I did that. Not having enough money coming in to hire more help. Very hard especially when I felt really exhausted. Basement location was very challenging.

2. Art school and work experience wrapped into one.

I have been working at Artist and Craftsman Supply

Pros

The people are great. They really know how to hire a well rounded team that will assist you in learning about the supplies and thus furthering your own artistic knowledge. Customers are very happy and the environment is very mellow.

Cons

Corporate is really stingy! They don't spend money on advertising so lower level employees have to do it all, which can be overwhelming when they start putting pressure on your store to do well.

Advice to Management

Spend a little more on the things that count and properly recognize those that have got you where you are. Stop expanding so fast and focus on improving the stores that you have. CEO is also very stubborn and doesn't listen to input from anyone.

There are newer employer reviews for Artist and Craftsman Supply