Rewards for those who get the work done, but encourages free riders

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sunnyvale, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Aruba Networks

Pros

- good colleague to work with;
- fun company culture;
- decent salary and bonus package;
- great projects to work on and wonderful learning opportunities on the job;
- senior management cares and works hard to solve problems at work (for the ones they know of, see cons below).

Cons

- many free riders in middle management layer;
- hiring decisions made too soon;
- strong corporate hierarchy, middle management blocking valuable communications from below to senior management, and so-called "business partner" in HR functions poorly. Many problems cannot be heard by upper management. As an employee reporting three levels down from C-executive, I feel coerced by my manager's manager (VP) to cover for my manager (director) on daily basis.

Senior management needs a truly anonymous way to gather feedbacks for middle management. The "business partner" and the "advisor day" are good tries, but true voice cannot be heard (A tells business partner B does something inappropriate, business partner goes to tell B please stop doing that without any research into the issue and independent judgment on what's going on).

Give it a try - take an employee reporting three levels down to your peer C-executive's organization (not your own as they will not dare to say anything) out for a 10-min coffee break and get a true understanding of what has been covered by the middle management.

Money cannot buy happiness. RSU is a good way to reward valuable employees, but if you don't solve the people's problem, eventually your valuable hires will leave, leaving you with an empty shell of incompetent middle managers.

Other Reviews for Aruba Networks

Aruba is an absolute mess and disappointment.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Aruba Networks

Pros

Good product, good food in the cafeteria, decent location, but not a lot of real talent doing anything productive.

Cons

Executive management is oblivious to how things actually are at lover levels withing the organization. Lower level managers are lazy, unproductive, uncreative, and just hanging out to enjoy the "free ride". Sales operations team is completely clueless, internal systems, tools, and processes are antiquated & outdated. Nobody wants to own up and make things better. People are more concerned with politics and double talk than really trying to make a difference. They hire unqualified people and promote them based on how well they can kiss up as opposed to the quality of their work. Low integrity, no morals, a complete and utterly ridiculous bait and switch... at least the product is good. Don't get me wrong there are a lot of great people there too (the worker ants) but most of the ones with power below director level are absolutely clueless. Its like a very bad episode of Beverly Hills 90210.

Take your heads out of the sand and really take a long hard look at the people in your organization. Figure out which ones add value and which ones are just along for the ride. People who deliver results and actually care are more important than all of the fakers blowing smoke and trying to pretend that they are actually working while fluffing up the numbers and affecting your ability to forecast properly. Laziness and faking it and pretending to work are a disease and it is terribly sad to see a company with such great products employ such worthless people who are just happy to milk it and get by rather than actually make a positive difference.

Growing faster than employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Aruba Networks

Pros

-Fun work environment (parties, events, sports teams, ArubaBar)
    -Entrepreneurial work environment
    -Employees can shape and direct their career

Cons

-Don't always hire the best available talent in the industry
    -No brand (know one knows who Aruba is)
    -Growing too fast. What worked when we were small, doesn't work as we get bigger. More processes, training and guidance needs to be put in place if we are ever going to really compete with our big competitors

Listen. Employees have great ideas and ways that Aruba can really grow!

There are newer employer reviews for Aruba Networks.

Worked for Aruba Networks? Contribute to the Community!