Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College

www.abtech.edu
Unclaimed Profile
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College

Rewarding opportunity to help entrepreneurs reach their dreams

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College

Pros

Partnerships and commitment from supporting agencies

Cons

Strong Budget for funding events

Advice to Management

Set up loan fund to support entrepreneurs and provide large educational budget

reviews filtered by
  1. Very Friendly and understanding people to work with

Current Contractor - Accounts Receivable Clerk in Asheville, NC
    Current Contractor - Accounts Receivable Clerk in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Was very understanding when a family emergency interrupted several of my work days.

Cons

Pay was not what I was used to but worked for the time. It was a temporary position.

2. Communication with my supervisor was limited and I was never entirely sure of how I stood.

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Asheville, NC

I worked at Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay was good. There was some support for finding teaching materials. Lots of training available. I had an associate full time teacher who was my point person to go to for advice, and she was very helpful and supportive.

Cons

I found myself teaching bored high school students instead of college students. Sometimes I would not know until the last minute if I were subbing that day or not. It was difficult to converse productively with my supervisor, as that person was unhappy and quite passive-aggressive. It took a long time to develop lessons, as well as grade, for I had to grade all the work left behind by the teacher before me (this is unpaid time). Internet connection at the high school outreach was severely limited, so often I would have to bring everything for lessons to class, because we (I was not exempt from the restrictions) could not look things up online.

Advice to Management

I think, that in the cases of having only one supervisor to go to who is hard to approach, it would be good to have some information on other possible avenues to address concerns. I felt my supervisor was difficult to talk to, and the Dean off limits in general.