Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College

www.abtech.edu
  www.abtech.edu
There are newer employer reviews for Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College

Rewarding opportunity to help entrepreneurs reach their dreams

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College

Pros

Partnerships and commitment from supporting agencies

Cons

Strong Budget for funding events

Set up loan fund to support entrepreneurs and provide large educational budget

7 Other Employee Reviews for Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College (View Most Recent)

PT Instructor

Former Employee - Pt Instructor in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Pt Instructor in Asheville, NC

I worked at Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a nice academic environment with adults and young adults who are there for a purpose

Cons

It is very difficult to obtain full time work, and you are limited to only 13 hours per week as a part time instructor.

Communication with my supervisor was limited and I was never entirely sure of how I stood.

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Asheville, NC

I worked at Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay was good. There was some support for finding teaching materials. Lots of training available. I had an associate full time teacher who was my point person to go to for advice, and she was very helpful and supportive.

Cons

I found myself teaching bored high school students instead of college students. Sometimes I would not know until the last minute if I were subbing that day or not. It was difficult to converse productively with my supervisor, as that person was unhappy and quite passive-aggressive. It took a long time to develop lessons, as well as grade, for I had to grade all the work left behind by the teacher before me (this is unpaid time). Internet connection at the high school outreach was severely limited, so often I would have to bring everything for lessons to class, because we (I was not exempt from the restrictions) could not look things up online.

I think, that in the cases of having only one supervisor to go to who is hard to approach, it would be good to have some information on other possible avenues to address concerns. I felt my supervisor was difficult to talk to, and the Dean off limits in general.