There are newer employer reviews for Ashford University

It's Telemarketing/Sales Without Any Incentive

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO
Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO

I worked at Ashford University

Pros

Education reimbursement-100% tuition reimbursement up to a Masters, 80% for your spouse.

Pay- Pretty decent considering the work

Office- It's right downtown in a beautiful building, nicest cubicle maze I've ever seen.

Free Coffee- Need I say more?

Relaxed environment- It's a very young company, where you'll feel like your working with a bunch of college students. If that's what your going for, you'll enjoy it.

Management- Although they can get on you very quickly, they're committed to helping you succeed and will provide the proper training.

Cons

Prospects- If you're coming from a B2B or professional sales environment, you're in for a doozy. Sadly, 95% of your prospective students are broke, unmotivated, uneducated and in some pretty terrible situations. Many times, you feel like a social worker first. Your lead database may average around 40% of DNC, not in service, wrong numbers and fax machines. Have fun!

Telemarketing- You will be making anywhere from 250-400 calls a day on average to the same numbers. Many days you'll come in with 1, maybe 2, new leads, so be prepared to work with peanuts. Since it's outbound to consumers, expect to be insulted and hung up on more times than not.

Motivating without incentive- Coming from a traditional sales role, I'm used to the hunt for commissions, bonus. The thrill of the sale is special to me. That doesn't exist here. Since they're a college, they can't incentive. You'll be subject to daily motivational talks, pep rallies, energy drink giveaways to keep you excited, but since you're job is to contact prospects and get them enrolled (SALES), it's very tough to stay motivated. At one point, we were asked to enroll left and right for the reward of a "Good Job" poster the floor had. It's pathetic.

Moral/Ethical concerns- First, it's a for profit college. You're mixing education and business, and it's never easy. There's an awful lot of bad press, as well as congressional reviews and audits around the industry. Additionally, as I mentioned with the prospects earlier, many of these students are in some pretty scary situations. Is it right to throw someone into a $30K student loan repayment with the promise that their degree will "change their life" when they can barely afford food? Is it right to try to pitch the school to others already enrolled elsewhere? Shoot, did I get a 4 year degree for $X amount to be a telemarket?

Develop a training regiment more practical for on the floor.
Tell your staff up front the challenges they'll face.
Stop hiring so many people and disperse. Nobody wants to work with 1-2 new leads a day.

296 Other Employee Reviews for Ashford University (View Most Recent)

Great place to start out of college, otherwise a brain drain

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University

Pros

Great training program and tele-sales communication

Cons

Lack of management goals and willingness to share vision. They drive you hard for little reward.

Just admit there is a quota

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO

I have been working at Ashford University

Pros

Excellent benefits,excellent shift, great training, incredible positivity, community environment, incomparable salary.

Cons

Really a sales position, if you invest in the mission you;ll be disappointed.

treat everyone fairly