Enjoyable

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA

Pros

The team I was on had expecptional leadership from team leads up through my divisional manager. Great relationships and wish I could have continued working for much longer.

Cons

During shifts in the managment communications to lower level employees seemed to lack.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing and promoting the right people and everything will continue to grow successfully.

Other Employee Reviews for Ashford University

This was an AWFUL place to work

Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Short commute since I live in North county San Diego. -Most of my co-workers were pretty cool and everybody got along. -The office was pretty nice, so was the break room area.

Cons

-High pressure sales, even though they constantly drill into you that you are NOT a sales rep; it was absolutely schizophrenic. -MAJOR favoritism. -The job was mind-numbingly dull; calling 150-200 people every day, reading the same script over and over, to people who don't want to talk to you. -You're only as good as your last sale. Even if you are (or were) consistently meeting your quota, as soon as you have a bad week, management is on your back.

Advice to Management

Make the place not such a thankless job.

It's Telemarketing/Sales Without Any Incentive

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO

Pros

Education reimbursement-100% tuition reimbursement up to a Masters, 80% for your spouse. Pay- Pretty decent considering the work Office- It's right downtown in a beautiful building, nicest cubicle maze I've ever seen. Free Coffee- Need I say more? Relaxed environment- It's a very young company, where you'll feel like your working with a bunch of college students. If that's what your going for, you'll enjoy it. Management- Although they can get on you very quickly, they're committed to helping you succeed and will provide the proper training.

Cons

Prospects- If you're coming from a B2B or professional sales environment, you're in for a doozy. Sadly, 95% of your prospective students are broke, unmotivated, uneducated and in some pretty terrible situations. Many times, you feel like a social worker first. Your lead database may average around 40% of DNC, not in service, wrong numbers and fax machines. Have fun! Telemarketing- You will be making anywhere from 250-400 calls a day on average to the same numbers. Many days you'll come in with 1, maybe 2, new leads, so be prepared to work with peanuts. Since it's outbound to consumers, expect to be insulted and hung up on more times than not. Motivating without incentive- Coming from a traditional sales role, I'm used to the hunt for commissions, bonus. The thrill of the sale is special to me. That doesn't exist here. Since they're a college, they can't incentive. You'll be subject to daily motivational talks, pep rallies, energy drink giveaways to keep you excited, but since you're job is to contact prospects and get them enrolled (SALES), it's very tough to stay motivated. At one point, we were asked to enroll left and right for the reward of a "Good Job" poster the floor had. It's pathetic. Moral/Ethical concerns- First, it's a for profit college. You're mixing education and business, and it's never easy. There's an awful lot of bad press, as well as congressional reviews and audits around the industry. Additionally, as I mentioned with the prospects earlier, many of these students are in some pretty scary situations. Is it right to throw someone into a $30K student loan repayment with the promise that their degree will "change their life" when they can barely afford food? Is it right to try to pitch the school to others already enrolled elsewhere? Shoot, did I get a 4 year degree for $X amount to be a telemarket?

Advice to Management

Develop a training regiment more practical for on the floor. Tell your staff up front the challenges they'll face. Stop hiring so many people and disperse. Nobody wants to work with 1-2 new leads a day.