Ashford University

www.ashford.edu
There are newer employer reviews for Ashford University

I learned a lot, and gained some valuable work experience.

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, paid vacation and holidays, fun work environment

Cons

Pressured work environment and lack of movement within company

326 Other Employee Reviews for Ashford University (View Most Recent)

Pays well but stressfull environment.

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

pay for you to go to school

Cons

very stressfull, dial a lot of peopel that dont want to go to school

Check your morals, integrity and self-respect at the door.

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University full-time

Pros

The pay is decent and the company has good benefits. Major holidays off with pay and has a pretty liberal dress code.

Cons

As I said in the title, you really must check your integrity and morals at the door. I want to preface this by saying its not like I was in for a shock when I hit the floor and was dialing upwards of 300 numbers a day. They emphasize in their interview process and I acknowleded I understood this would be the case. I also was told to expect to be hung up on and cursed at while on the job. Got it-and I did not take that part personally while on the job. However, In this position, I was making hundreds of calls daily to students who made it more than abundantly clear they were not interested in attending college. It's ironic because in the training manual we receive it states that we are not to call students excessively. They never give a number to the word 'excessively", but I can tell you in my case I was expected to call new leads 3 to 4 sometimes even 5 times a day! Does that seem excessive? I doubt if collection agencies phone their clients that often.
    This is a numbers driven game; while I was there, I actually produced a decent number of enrollments and had never been talked to or disciplined for a lack of productivity. As far as the numbers driven part, they will tell you the opposite, that AU is about the student and changing their lives for the better. Selling them the idea that their lives will be so much better in four years when they attain their Bachelors degree. I honestly beleived that I would be in the business of helping people. Not so much. Enrollments and how many you can attain in the week is the name of the game. One day when my manager was particularly frustrated at us actually told us 'you can pretend its not a numbers driven game all you want, but it is!' I was instructed that in the course of talking to a prospective student, if they in any way indicated they may have a prior default on a loan to end the call as soon as posssible-"dont' waste your time on them." I was made to call individuals who had previously, explicitely stated 'take me off of your call list'. Talking indigent students--people who could barely put food on the table, people who could not even afford their own computer--into a $50,000 online education is, in my opinion unethical and unconscionable.
    In addition, my experience with management was dismal. Poor, inadequete coaching and teaching methods was what I endured throughout my tenure there.
    I really could go on with specific stories of unethical, hostile, intimidating stories of what I and others experienced there, but it would take up too much space here. I'll end with this--I really did make a decent wage there and had excellent benefits--those things could not even come close to making up for the sick sinking feeling I had everyday while on their 'sales' floor. Many times I could not shake it even after I got home--I made the decision to leave.

Listen to issues and concerns listed on websites like this.

There are newer employer reviews for Ashford University