Ashford University
www.ashford.edu Clinton, IA 500 to 999 Employees

Great Place to Work if You are not in Admissions

Admissions Counselor (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

ProsIf you do not work in admissions you will definitely feel like everyone is there to support you. You will also have a wide ability to transfer and get free school. The pay is good and the benefits are decent.

ConsIf you are in admissions you are the hardest working part of the company and often feel the least valued. Now I worked there in 2012 right before the massive layoffs and restructuring. They've done a lot of changes to try to tip the scales in their bid for WASC accreditation. I hear some more negative things have been added to the admissions counselor job but starting off at 18 an hour is better then most people would typically make.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can still be goal oriented without focusing on metrics for performance. Happy workers draw in more students then admissions counselors who are trying to keep their managers happy and out of their cube. Happy Managers better manager their ACs when they do not need to worry about being called into their directors office and reamed out. A lot of the old staff who have made it to DVP or Director are actually part of the problem. They cling to the old ways and only embrace change until the numbers are bad and they are getting reamed.

It was an interesting experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University full-time for less than a year

Pros: Great benefits package at first, but the upcoming HRA is less than appealing and will soon be… Cons: The culture is oppressive. Staff are treated like children -… – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great to work for... until they decide to lay you and 800 of your colleagues off.

Adjunct Teaching Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Ashford University as a contractor for less than a year

Pros: The support staff I worked with was excellent, as were (most) of the students. … Cons: The upper echelons of management make decisions without notifying lower management members. In the case of the Adjunct Teaching Assistant role, 800 employees were… Advice to Senior Management: Be more professional in your dealings with staff and faculty members.… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Ashford University.

Worked for Ashford University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ashford University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ashford University CEO Richard L. Pattenaude. All reviews posted anonymously by Ashford University employees.