Ashford University

There are newer employer reviews for Ashford University

Great Place to Work if You are not in Admissions

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you do not work in admissions you will definitely feel like everyone is there to support you. You will also have a wide ability to transfer and get free school. The pay is good and the benefits are decent.

Cons

If you are in admissions you are the hardest working part of the company and often feel the least valued. Now I worked there in 2012 right before the massive layoffs and restructuring. They've done a lot of changes to try to tip the scales in their bid for WASC accreditation. I hear some more negative things have been added to the admissions counselor job but starting off at 18 an hour is better then most people would typically make.

You can still be goal oriented without focusing on metrics for performance. Happy workers draw in more students then admissions counselors who are trying to keep their managers happy and out of their cube. Happy Managers better manager their ACs when they do not need to worry about being called into their directors office and reamed out. A lot of the old staff who have made it to DVP or Director are actually part of the problem. They cling to the old ways and only embrace change until the numbers are bad and they are getting reamed.

326 Other Employee Reviews for Ashford University (View Most Recent)

Started off great, now what???

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Clinton, IA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Clinton, IA

I have been working at Ashford University as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great experience in e-learning. Stock benefits for part-time employees.

Cons

More of a facilitator than a teacher. Accreditation issue makes people a bit nervous. Worked consistently for 3.5 years at AU and then all of a sudden in Feb 2013, I needed to "wait my turn in the adjunct pool". Very strange and no explanation for management.

Be more transparent with faculty. Scheduling system makes no sense.

Great to work for... until they decide to lay you and 800 of your colleagues off.

Former Employee - Adjunct Teaching Assistant
    Former Employee - Adjunct Teaching Assistant

I worked at Ashford University as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The support staff I worked with was excellent, as were (most) of the students. The workload was fair for the compensation given. Company supported continuing education and growth.

Cons

The upper echelons of management make decisions without notifying lower management members. In the case of the Adjunct Teaching Assistant role, 800 employees were terminated over email in a message with an ambiguous subject line. Additionally, the Writing Services Center staff were laid off the same day.

Be careful if you ever work for Ashford. You never know when your job will end. No one was given any indication that the Teaching Assistant role would end until the day the provost decided to give us all a pink slip.

Be more professional in your dealings with staff and faculty members. We could, at the very least, have gotten a phone call.

There are newer employer reviews for Ashford University