Ashford University

www.ashford.edu

Getting Better But Definitely Room For Improvement

Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsDecent starting pay, good benefits, and you meet some of the best people you will ever work with. In the past year with the addition of a new President and the departure of certain long term executives, the atmosphere overall has improved.

Cons- Micromanaging
- Dwindling resources
- Misaollocation of resources
- Career advancement limited (if you're Admissions)
- Internal politics
- Unfair advantages given to a selected few (to this date, most Admissions Counselors are still not aware of what the criteria for becoming a Live Chat Operator exactly are as Directors and above have never posted or formally announced such criteria).

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile over the past several years there have been many strides internally; the Admissions Department is still stuck in the same mindset of the good old boy system promoting people who are either under-qualified, not ready professionally or both as well as favoring a select few by providing them additional resources under the table while everyone else struggles.

I understand for legal reasons that you cannot say that the Admissions Counselor/University Advisor role is an Inside Sales position but be honest to candidates and to your own people that this job has aspects of it (i.e. call volume, talk time, the results of what happens if you don't meet your monthly minimum expectations).

Admissions Counselors/University Advisors are not stupid and do see the short comings of most Admissions Managers and Directors as well as what the job and internal poltics really are. Put competent, experienced (i.e. managerial experience), responsible people in these positions...not your buddy or favorite yes man/woman.

Finally, recognize that many of these people have career aspirations; work with them to help them achieve those goals...not hinder them and box them into being an Admissions Counselor/University Advisor....you'd be surprised how much experience in different areas there on the Admissions floor; it should be Talent and Acquisitions first stop.

Enjoyed working there but it could be better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Ashford University

Pros: Schedule was great usually. Overtime was mostly optional. Pay was good. Benefits were good. … Cons: They think of you as a number. I was there for years and moved for the company. They fired me out of nowhere… Advice to Senior Management: Actually look for leadership qualities before promoting someone. You need leaders… More

I would rather not say how my experience was working for Ashford University.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Ashford University full-time for less than a year

Pros: very nice co-workers, made a lot of networking contacts. Cons: management could careless if you were successful or not Advice to Senior Management: none No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Ashford University.

Worked for Ashford University? Contribute to the Community!