There are newer employer reviews for Ashford University

300+ phone calls in 8 hours...

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay for the work required. Hour long lunch, good facility, people are really nice. Bachelor's Education paid for after 6 months of employment. Benefits are above average. Opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Monotonous work, micromanaged to the second, High turn over rate, must meet enrollment goals or you are "coached." You are an "admissions counselor" but really you are a sales telemarketer for a for-profit school calling leads and influencing enrollment.

Advice to Management

Develop a way to analyze database quality and ensure productivity is reflected. Luck of the database is a real aspect, and some ACs have better databases and don't get incorrect or bad transfers from Student Inquiry Counselors.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Corruption runs deep

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Diego, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in San Diego, TX

I have been working at Ashford University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits and coworkers. There are some great people in positions that are going no where.

Cons

Unfortunately, there is no hope for this company. The mid-level management is manipulative and corrupt. The company uses trickery to scare the employees into enrolling more people into their programs. It is well understood that it is a business and they are there to make money. The students and lower level employees are who suffer. I would not recommend this company or the school. Trust me you can find a better job overall, don't be inticed by pay. And the truth is, if you don't preform they will FIRE you anyway. Save yourself the anxiety of working for a place where you can never win. Don't believe me, google their reviews: students, staff and the government. Abandon Ship!!!

Advice to Management

Get a clue. Read what your employees and students are saying and stop promoting peoples friends. Just because you can enroll a student doesn't make you management material!

A good experience in the beginning but that changed drastically.

Former Employee - Associate Faculty in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Faculty in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ashford University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay for the amount of time put in.

Cons

When I first began teaching for Ashford in 2008, it was a great experience. I enjoyed the curriculum and I worked with several students that I really felt would make great teachers. As time when on, I began to notice that the students admitted to Ashford University were coming in with serious academic deficits. As an instructor for Ashford's undergraduate education program, I was horrified by the inability of these would-be/future teachers to put together coherent, grammatically correct sentences. This started to make sense as the media began to pick up stories about Ashford's less than ethical diploma mill practices.

About 2012, the focus of the program shifted so instructors were given "suggested" responses to provide students when giving feedback or following up on online posts. If the scripted responses were not used and, heaven forbid, you responded authentically and individually, the instructional specialist overseeing your class would give a negative evaluation for the class. From 2008 to 2012, I had near perfect reviews from the students and corporate. When the canned responses became the expectation, the students weren't happy and unhappy students mean that corporate isn't happy either. I was asked to teach a class in early 2013. It was clear that the curriculum wasn't fully developed. I felt it was a disservice to the students, both academically and financially. I also received complaints from students in my class about the lack of coherence in the program which I passed along to the corporate office in San Diego. When I was "encouraged" to use the canned responses and basically stick to the script, I informed the faculty member who had written the class that I would continue to respond in a manner that would help my students and further more, I would not be issuing any failing grades for that section since I didn't feel the students should be penalized for Ashford's lack of planning. Shockingly, I was not asked to teach any more classes....

If you are an educator who invests deeply in your students, avoid Ashford. You will not be allowed to truly teach. If you're looking for an easy side job and ok with sticking to the script, then I would say go for it.

Advice to Management

Let teachers actually teach and if you want satisfied "customers" then stop setting students up for failure by enrolling them in college level courses when they lack the basic skills needed to be successful.