There are newer employer reviews for Ashland

Good but relatively slow company

Former Intern - Global Marketing Intern in Dublin, OH
Former Intern - Global Marketing Intern in Dublin, OH

I worked at Ashland as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

good team atmosphere and good work life balance

Cons

Slow in decision making and slow in technology uodates

Advice to Management

More decisive and keep up with the decision making process

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great company if you don't mind not having a life

Former Employee - Account Manager in Stevens Point, WI
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Stevens Point, WI

I worked at Ashland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most people are fun to work with and I got to have a large variety in my routine from working with people to lab analysis to turning a wrench fixing equipment.

Cons

I was criticized and looked down on for taking time for doctors appointments while managing through some serious health issues. They say that family and your health comes first with one breath, but in the second breath required 70-80 hour work weeks for about 6 months straight, making me cancel planned (communicated several months in advance) vacations, missing family christmas/thanksgivings, etc. While I know this type of stuff varies highly based on who your management chain is, I find it disgraceful that any company would keep a manager that treated me the way they did. While going through a feat with cancer, you'd think they'd be more helpful and supportive of a lightened work load and making sure I would be able to spend time with family while you can, as opposed to telling you not to leave town, asking you to move doctor appointments, and asking why you don't have more work done. Before this scenario I had a passion for how great the company was that I had a privilege to work for, but what has transpired in the last 12 months has left me with nothing but disdain and contempt for such a company.

Advice to Management

-Treat your team members the way you would hope to be treated if you were in their shoes. -Some things happen, but try to be respectful and supportive of having some type of a life outside of work -If your employee is hitting sales targets and their customers are happy, just let them do their job.

2. Student Co-op in EAI

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Ashland as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Stable company, great environment, excellent pay. Treat students as regular employees and give us real projects to work on. Lexington campus is nice with lots of cool stuff, like a good gym, barber shop, Ashland/Valvoline swag store, events, and charity work. Management is readily available, interested in helping you and seeing you succeed.

Cons

Training is dreadful! Lots of learning on the fly, figuring stuff out yourself, and asking full-timers questions. Ashland also seems to be unfocused in their overall business plan at the moment, buying companies and spinning off business groups all at the same time. No current budget for hiring in new talent, and the vast majority of technical staff is within a few years of retirement - major brain drain is imminent.

Advice to Management

Make room to bring some co-ops on full time after graduation, and get rid of your dead weight!