Ask.com

There are newer employer reviews for Ask.com

Great Environment, Opportunity for Growth and Smart People

Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Oakland, CA
Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Ask.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I didn't know how I great I had it here or I would have never left! The environment can't be beat and is extremely creative and energetic, while also casual. The people are very smart and there is plenty of growth opportunity for those who stick around and prove themselves.

Cons

They seem to repeat similar cycles every three months and every year, which can get a little tiresome (haven't we been there, done that before)? It also can be a bit depressing to be such an underdog.

Sometimes the management they introduce can be a bit erratic and off mark, but overall a great place to work and great visionaries in leadership. The key will be to stick to a long term strategy that works for growth.

80 Other Employee Reviews for Ask.com (View Most Recent)

Better than many other companies

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Ask.com full-time

Pros

- Nice people and fun to work with.
    - Flexible working hours. Nobody is checking on you every hour.
    - Good salary and environment.
    - We use Scrum, but we don't use it perfectly.

Cons

- Long review cycles (once a year).
    - Low referral bonus.
    - Sometimes, it's very business-driven.

The company needs some clean-up to get rid of the useless engineers because they will affect the good ones negatively.

Unprofessional, unethical work atmosphere in the engineering group

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at Ask.com full-time

Pros

-Access to some of the latest technologies.
    -Decent training opportunities.

Cons

-Downright unethical and unprofessional work enviornment atleast in the software engineering group.I hear that other groups are not like this but I have no experience with other groups so cannot speak for them.
    -Bullying, yelling, emotional abuse are quite common. Lot of unhappy people work here who make life miserable for others as well. Emotinally immature/abusive people in top management contribute to this behavior across the engineering group. I have seen people yell in meetings and also publicly in front of everyone. I have also seen such people being promoted to higher positions which is just sad.
    -Management is useless in addressing such behaviors and the HR department is equally incompetent and useless.If you are a software engineer then this is not a healthy or happy place to work at. I would not recommend it to anyone. If you are a new graduate trying to get your foot in the door then may be it makes sense to work here for a bit, gain the necessary experience and move on. Even in this case I would still encourage this to be your last option to consider. If you do end up joining this company for whatever reason then be prepared for the drama that will follow and keep your core strong ALWAYS.
    -Every body deserves to be treated with respect in a professional work environment and this company clearly does not encourage that. No doubt there is a high employee turn over in the engieering group here and on the same note its not surpising why they have such a hard time hiring new software engineers.
    -If you are a potential job seeker, the HR will throw a lot of dangling carrots at you like the no vacation policy, free snacks and fruits, no meetings thursdays, etc etc. Please don't fall for them.Keep in mind that despite all the "cool" benefits they are having a hard time hiring new engineers and also retaining them, all for a reason. There are many companies in Bay area that offer all these benefits and much more.

-Do some in house cleaning. Get rid of the disrespectful employees.
    -Take steps to build a positive and healthy work environment where employees can thrive and reach their full potential. Eg: Make anyone who is disrespectful pay a fine. The individual teams can decide on defining what is disrespectful behavior and call it out collectively when that happens. This way there won't be any victimization or targetting of particular individuals by emotionally immature, unhealthy and insecure individuals. Use all the collected fine money to organize team outings. Do not turn a blind eye to such unprofessional and unethical behavior.
    -Stop promoting wrong people thus encouraging them to get more power hungry. An engineer's technical skills contribute only to 50% of their job in my opinion. The other 50% is a combination of their integrity, ethics and their inter personal skills. An employee's growth in a company should be assessed based on all these factors in my opinion. By promoting the worng people you are sending the wrong message accross the board that bullying and other kinds of unethical behavior are accepted as well as encouraged.
    -Provide training to your engineers in particular to improve their inter personal and communication skills.

With all that said, I have a feeling that the company is not willing to invest its time and effort into improving the work atmosphere because no matter what they do they will remain an underdog to google so the atttitude seems to be why bother. This is quite depressing and even more the reason why potential job seekers need to be aware of the working conditions here.

There are newer employer reviews for Ask.com