Ask.com

www.ask.com
  www.ask.com
There are newer employer reviews for Ask.com

An awesome place to work and an awesome company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Ask.com full-time

Pros

The "no-official" vacation policy where you can take as much time off as you want, casual dress, snacks in the kitchen, close to bart, upper management are easy to talk to, the company makes you feel valued as an employee

Cons

Sit behind a computer all day

Can we get some caffeine-free diet soda?

76 Other Employee Reviews for Ask.com (View Most Recent)

Great salary and work/life balance, limited innovation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Ask.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary, benefits (unlimited vacation time!) and work/life balance are all great. Company has strong financial performance and pays very good bonuses. Weekly town hall type meetings to give updates on the business/Q&A. Doug (CEO) is accessible and always seems willing to answer questions.

Cons

Could be more innovative. Focus has been on delivering financial results, not creating great products. Executive team can feel like an exclusive club to non-executives.

Great opportunity to forge your own path. Some big company drawbacks.

I worked at Ask.com

Pros

Ask.com supported my desire to move around a bit during my tenure. They welcomed ambition and desire to learn new parts of the business and rewarded that with new opportunities. The work/life balance is mostly good and compensation is in-line with the market. The best part of my experience with Ask were the people. It's a scrappy little company that is full of a really wide variety of people (singers, artists, bakers, you name it).

Cons

There is too much discussion of "culture." It's great to want to foster a strong company culture but if you have to work so hard at it (special clubs, ceo calling it out in meetings, etc.) then it often times feels too forced. Culture can be supported by a company but it often times felt like the company was trying to create it. Hopefully that has changed by now. Beyond that, there was a real divide between employees and contractors. I understand there are legal issues but when you don't invite a full team to an offsite lunch because of legal worries then you're in a sticky spot in terms of team cohesion. Making matters worse was the fact that it seemed like only certain functions were staffed with contractors (essentially all QA) which formed a bit of a divide between Engineering and QA.

If you're still beating the culture drum (see above) then take a step back and figure out the components that lead to a company having a great culture (inspiring goals, nice workspaces, places to chill and talk with colleagues, etc.) and then sit back and see what happens.

There are newer employer reviews for Ask.com