Ask.com

www.ask.com

A Great Place To Work

Current Employee - Director  in  Oakland, CA
Current Employee - Director in Oakland, CA

Pros

I have had my share of both good and bad employment opportunities and it makes me sad to see some many bitter reviews about Ask.com on this site. My advice to those people is it is time to move on to greener pastures. You should be happy at your job and if you are not happy then you are doing your company and yourself a disservice.

I have worked for the company for five years and have always found the company and the majority of the people I work with to be to be great. Ask is an energetic workplace. We work hard and play hard. The office has a diverse mix of full-time employees and contractors from around the world with very different educational and cultural backgrounds. I have fun at work everyday and everyday is a challenge. Some of the Pros - Vacation Policy, Free Snacks, and lots of free clothes, food, and giveaways that the creative and hard working executive secretaries and HR team are always providing. Additionally our senior leadership team is assessable to anyone in the company to answer questions or bounce ideas off of. I have never worked at another company where I can spend 30 minutes pitching an idea to a CEO or COO. At Ask I always feel like my concerns are listened to and I have a say. The company is small enough that I have a chance to make a difference everyday and my actions and performance matter.

Cons

Every company has cons and Ask is no different. Our offices are a bit dated and we could use a redesign. Our cubicles are a little 1990's and some teams sit in tight quarters. Additionally we need more open collaboration spaces and more conference rooms. Also Ask does not have a great Employee Referral Program, the company could offer more money to internal employees for reference hires.

My Advice to Management - Keep doing what your doing. Over the past three years we have seen record growth. Take our earnings and invest in the people and technology it will take to bring the next big product to market. Ask used to inspire and innovate, together let's bring a wildly successful product to life and shock the search world.

Other reviews for Ask.com

Great opportunity to make a difference

Pros

Small company where its easy to make a difference.
    Flexible culture, no vacation policy and you can work from home etc with manager approval
    Great growth opportunities if you work hard and do a good job.

Cons

Surrounding area doesn't have a lot of personality / good restaurants
    Ask brand and competition from sexier bay area tech makes finding good people hard
    Struggling to make the Ask brand relevant to users.

Small company feel with big company backing

Pros

Ask.com has great people and a great culture. The executive team is very approachable and there are lots of opportunities to get experience in different areas and wear a lot of 'hats'. Employees are encouraged to experiment and try new things. Before Ask.com, I worked for a large company where this was not possible and really enjoy the freedom at Ask.com to explore new business ideas and opportunities.

Cons

The company has had a rebirth over the past few years and is still in the process of putting together a long-term product vision and strategy. This has taken longer than expected but I am hopeful.

Keep communication open and continue to hire great people and improve products and technology.

There are newer employer reviews for Ask.com.

Worked for Ask.com? Contribute to the Community!