Ask.com

There are newer employer reviews for Ask.com

A Great Place To Work

Current Employee - Director in Oakland, CA
Current Employee - Director in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Ask.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have had my share of both good and bad employment opportunities and it makes me sad to see some many bitter reviews about Ask.com on this site. My advice to those people is it is time to move on to greener pastures. You should be happy at your job and if you are not happy then you are doing your company and yourself a disservice.

I have worked for the company for five years and have always found the company and the majority of the people I work with to be to be great. Ask is an energetic workplace. We work hard and play hard. The office has a diverse mix of full-time employees and contractors from around the world with very different educational and cultural backgrounds. I have fun at work everyday and everyday is a challenge. Some of the Pros - Vacation Policy, Free Snacks, and lots of free clothes, food, and giveaways that the creative and hard working executive secretaries and HR team are always providing. Additionally our senior leadership team is assessable to anyone in the company to answer questions or bounce ideas off of. I have never worked at another company where I can spend 30 minutes pitching an idea to a CEO or COO. At Ask I always feel like my concerns are listened to and I have a say. The company is small enough that I have a chance to make a difference everyday and my actions and performance matter.

Cons

Every company has cons and Ask is no different. Our offices are a bit dated and we could use a redesign. Our cubicles are a little 1990's and some teams sit in tight quarters. Additionally we need more open collaboration spaces and more conference rooms. Also Ask does not have a great Employee Referral Program, the company could offer more money to internal employees for reference hires.

My Advice to Management - Keep doing what your doing. Over the past three years we have seen record growth. Take our earnings and invest in the people and technology it will take to bring the next big product to market. Ask used to inspire and innovate, together let's bring a wildly successful product to life and shock the search world.

75 Other Employee Reviews for Ask.com (View Most Recent)

Overall A Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Ask.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Let’s face it there is no perfect company but Ask is a really fun company to work for. Sure we have our problems but all companies do. I enjoy our official “no PTO” policy and free snack. The company is open, transparent and small enough that I have a voice, by this I mean I can speak directly with “C” level people and they actually listen to my ideas. Also we are a family. People at Ask generally look out for one another.

Exciting times are ahead for the company as we are in the process of rediscovering who we are and who we want to be in the Internet space. I enjoy coming to work everyday because of this and especially because of the talented and passionate people I am lucky to work with.

Cons

The office space could use a redesign. Also some teams are crammed into pretty tight work areas. Additionally there is a serious shortage of meeting spaces, finding a place to hold meetings is tough if not impossible at times.

Ask has a lot of longtime employees which is both good and bad, some are fantastic and still passionate about the brand while others disengaged and carry their past baggage with them.

Ask has hired many talented people over the past few years. Perhaps now is the time to give these people the chance to take on leadership roles instead of shifting the same 10 people around in different leadership roles.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Ask.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Unlimited PTO, free great snacks, lots of accessible cheap food in nearby Chinatown, great laid-back atmosphere.

Cons

Not sure how sustainable the business will remain. But management has been trying to make changes that will hopefully improve our product.

There are newer employer reviews for Ask.com