There are newer employer reviews for Aspen Dental

Former DA

I worked at Aspen Dental

Pros

Up to date facility, clean, organized, keeping up with OSHA rules, knowledgeable staff, friendly team, can assist sitting down during most procedures.

Cons

Overworked, underpaid, short staffed. It's all about quantity. Fast paced. Must show up to work on non working days. Stressful environment bc of the work load.

Allow more down time in between appointments.

105 Other Employee Reviews for Aspen Dental (View Most Recent)

Former Office Manager

Former Employee - Office Manager
    Former Employee - Office Manager

I worked at Aspen Dental full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with other great employees and "trying" to help great patients who truly want to be helped

Cons

Bonus structure that keeps getting lower every year. Working in an environment where your told the mission is to help the patient but at every turn you find roadblocks to this goal and upper management that cares much more about money than employees or patients. I also agree that if you read the reviews you will find a whole lot of truth. I know it sounds like bitter employees but in this case I can attest they are all true. Long hours for the salary management that leads to a horrible work life balance. Tons of pressure to do things that cross the line into driving clinical decisions. Tons of pressure to sell, sell, sell and make patients pay up front for care so they are more likely to return.

Come down and work in a busy Aspen Dental with only 1 PSR and 2 DA's working for your doctor and then sit in the office manager chair doing consults all day, not having any time to manage and see how it feels when PSC "forces" even more appointments onto your schedule while your doctor gets frustrated and thinks of quitting because he is overworked. You wouldn't be able to handle it for a whole month straight and no manager should ever expect out of an employee what he or she cannot or is not willing to do him/her self. Maybe back in the day you did an OM job, but the job has changed. Make every TVP, RM and above work an office for a month with the little help you give your OM"s and you might open some eyes as to how patients are treated when the intent is to treat them much better.

"Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Aspen Dental full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This job just gave me experience while I waited to find a real job.

Cons

Where to start. First, you go to training in upstate ny and the trainers were creepily happy (obviously they were all being fake). When you saw the trainers talking to their peers outside, they were miserable and gave off the impression that this was an awful place to work....I should have steered clear at this point. When I was hired the company told me they didn't want me to be driving an hour to work and put me in an office 10 minutes from my house, but the manager in an office an hour away was terminated and I was put there. There is no real "manager" part of Operations Manager, because you had to do all new patient consultations which were 45 minutes a pop and you can have up to 10 new patients a day. You add that up and that is more than 8 hours so how are you supposed to Manage anything but the sheisty Financing options. Everyday, I witnessed HIPAA violations and EXTREMELY questionable conduct and ethics (Financing options were forced on patients in a coniving, manipulative manner). Upper management was very unsupportive as far as follow-up and supporting me in my role, and communication was a joke. The biggest issue was how terribly the provider was allowed to treat staff without every being disciplined. I was screamed at on many occasions and the staff, including myself, was belittled and yelled at during staff meetings. I was once asked "how did you get in this position being so stupid and incompetent...don't talk to me for the rest of the day, I'm so mad at you I could punch a hole in the wall". This was done on a regular basis, all because I was not the manager the provider wanted in the office. Every other week there was a different focus the company was looking for us to execute. One week it would be about hitting budget and the next it would be patient satisfaction. The following week the focus would be "getting" patients to accept treatment. If this was such a good organization why would the employees have to "get" patients to accept treatment. Clinicians are over-worked and the Dental Assistants are ridiculously underpaid for running in circles all day. As a manager you are expected to be the first person in in the morning and the last person out at night. If you are in a busy office don't expect to work less than a 12-13 hour day sometimes without a break, all while being salaried. You also receive super-appreciative emails that state if you can't "get" patients to accept that treatment then "it will be a big problem". You have to be an excellent sales person to survive in this environment and not be afraid to screw patients over in the name of "getting patients the care that they 'need' ". Last, the company had Excellus medical insurance and Guardian vision. Apparently this became too expensive for the company, so they switched to United Concordia for medical and just gave an FSA with $400/yr for vision and other incidentals. With Excellus, you were able to receive 1 free well-visit/year, which is pretty standard. I went a few weeks ago for my annual well-visit and the garbage United Concordia insurance paid $50 and the remaining $100 is due as it's part of the "deductible". Usually insurance companies cover this as they want their clients to be healthy. This shows me how little the company cares about their employees, as they would switch to an insurance that wouldn't even cover the bare minimum. I wouldn't "Bleed Aspen Blue" if given another chance and would recommend anyone considering this company to follow suit. Turnover in my region was 60%, which is an astronomical number, but now I see why...the best days at Aspen Dental were when I gave my 2 week notice and the last time I drove out of the parking lot.

Stop violating Federal Regulations and don't be cheap with office staff. All of your good, smart managers and DAs will leave to find more pay and a less stressful environment. The corporate culture talks about how great they treat their employees, but in reality the employee is the last thing this greedy company thinks about.

There are newer employer reviews for Aspen Dental