Awesome technology, Volatile management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Emeryville, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Aspera full-time

Pros

Amazing technology, talented people, flexible schedules, free food and drinks. Aspera's technology is top-notch and there are many talented people that contribute to making it a success. The founders are brilliant. Schedules are flexible and the refrigerators are stocked.

Cons

Although schedules are flexible, the people praised for doing the best work are the ones that stay the longest hours. Senior Management works until 2 or 3 am every day and everything is "urgent." There are many blow-ups in the office. Lots of talking behind-the-back.

Think about what you are going to say before you say it and keep it professional. Plan better so everything isn't so frantic.

Other Reviews for Aspera

Comfortable, friendly, good culture, free lunch, yay dogs!

Current Employee - IT Support Specialist  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - IT Support Specialist in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Aspera full-time for less than a year

Pros

I started working here very recently. I like it because I get to see and talk to upper management on a regular basis despite my pretty bottom-of-the-ladder position. You also get free lunch 4 out of 5 days of the week and it's usually pretty tasty. I've only met Michelle Munson for a few brief moments, but her demeanor at company meetings is one of someone very intelligent and who knows what they are doing. I like Serban. He's also been friendly with me. I like my team members. I have been learning a lot from them. Also, it's a dog friendly work place so there's usually some furry friends to play with.

Cons

Well I commute from San Francisco. That's an annoying commute. Not Aspera's fault clearly. I do wish I was more than a temporary worker and worked under Aspera proper instead of a staffing agency (I don't get some of the nicer benefits because of this) but then again, I understand why. I was told my position would be temporary at the start of my employment.

Honestly, you guys are doing a good job. No problems from me.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Aspera full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free lunch
    Flexible hours
    Great location
    Growing company
    Good benefits, park nearby
    Financially stable
    Good product, meaningful work to do

Cons

Office atmosphere feels a little drab at times, with not much decor (but you could always deck out your desk with fun stuff though)
    People here are kind of old

I think overall the company is doing pretty well. I wouldn't complain about anything or say that we're doing anything wrong.

However, I think that if we want to become a great company, things are going to have to change to take things to the next level. That's often going to involve revising products, improving practices, and a lot of assessment of what's good and bad for the company.

There are newer employer reviews for Aspera.

Worked for Aspera? Contribute to the Community!