Aspera

www.asperasoft.com
There are newer employer reviews for Aspera

It was OK

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Aspera (more than 3 years)

Pros

* free lunch
* nice commute
* good people
* dog friendly environment
* ample parking
* 401k match
* yearly bonus

Cons

* ceo has had tearful breakdowns in the middle of a meetings or conference calls. This creates an atmosphere of fear.
* ceo plays favorites. If you walk her dog, babysit her son or are at work at 8pm, she thinks you are a hard worker.
* Its not about the work you're doing, but whether you will answer the phonecalls from the ceo on your day off, late at night or weekends.
* favorites are not always the people that write the best code.

* if you accept a job here, a certain part of your salary is a "bonus". This is arbitrarily decided by management. IT IS NOT ANYTHING YOU CAN COUNT ON. In your employment contract, it will say that the amount is based on performance of the individual and the company's performance as a whole. Exactly how this is measured is purposefully left vague. In addition, it is based on the fiscal years performance. Which, if you fullfil that time but quit before receiving a check, Aspera will not pay.

Value your employees, otherwise they will leave.

18 Other Employee Reviews for Aspera (View Most Recent)

Toxic and Threatening. No Raises, Promotions, Reviews, or Training. Favoritism over excellence.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Aspera full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very good core product. I truly believe it is the best and without peer.
    Outstanding technical minds in the engineering group.
    Lunch 4 days a week is very nice. It saves me a lot of money, although I end up working at my desk every day while eating my free lunch instead of getting out of the office.
    There is a handful of truly friendly co-workers.
    It would be hard to find two people (the founders) more dedicated to their company.
    Less than 10 minute commute for me.

Cons

Almost daily threats.
    Almost daily blow-ups in the office.
    There is no performance feedback. Zero.
    No training.
    No raises.
    No chance at real promotions.
    No goals (to achieve which would get you a raise or promotion). The only goals are what they tell you they want you to do.
    No chance of moving laterally to another position.
    As others have said, everything is ad-hoc and last-minute.
    Software is released with bugs and regressions and if you find a bug, it's your fault it's there.
    Low morale.

Instill a culture of respect. Demand it. Be accountable and stop pointing fingers back down at the employees. Treat people like people. Understand that many of us have families. Because we do not work 100 hours a week, that does not mean we are not dedicated and hard-working employees. Many of us with families already sacrifice by working 60-80 hours. Make sure employees have clearly-understood paths to raises and promotions. Make sure employees receive training.
    I believe most of us think that your hearts are in the right place. It's time to back that up with actions.
    Get rid of threatening executives who make the workplace toxic. They are killing your company from the inside out.
    Reward excellence; even excellence that has nothing to do with software development. Stop rewarding poor behavior.

Comfortable, friendly, good culture, free lunch, yay dogs!

Current Employee - IT Support Specialist in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - IT Support Specialist in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Aspera full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I started working here very recently. I like it because I get to see and talk to upper management on a regular basis despite my pretty bottom-of-the-ladder position. You also get free lunch 4 out of 5 days of the week and it's usually pretty tasty. I've only met Michelle Munson for a few brief moments, but her demeanor at company meetings is one of someone very intelligent and who knows what they are doing. I like Serban. He's also been friendly with me. I like my team members. I have been learning a lot from them. Also, it's a dog friendly work place so there's usually some furry friends to play with.

Cons

Well I commute from San Francisco. That's an annoying commute. Not Aspera's fault clearly. I do wish I was more than a temporary worker and worked under Aspera proper instead of a staffing agency (I don't get some of the nicer benefits because of this) but then again, I understand why. I was told my position would be temporary at the start of my employment.

Honestly, you guys are doing a good job. No problems from me.

There are newer employer reviews for Aspera