director

Current Employee - Executive Director
Current Employee - Executive Director

I have been working at Assisted Living Concepts full-time

Pros

spending money on communities that is well needed staffing much more appropriately

Cons

unrealistic goals for management spreading management too thin/burn out not consistent with expectations

Advice to Management

ensure the right teams are in place including regional team members. Continuity of care is still lacking and it seems as if things are changing all the time.

Other Employee Reviews for Assisted Living Concepts

Typical profit-driven corporation, unwilling to bend their rules to make things work on the ground

Current Employee - Wellness Director
    Current Employee - Wellness Director

I have been working at Assisted Living Concepts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smaller "Houses" vs. huge facilities Most staff care well for residents

Cons

Don't take Medicaid d/t profit loss Kitchen and Activities staff have hours cut when census drops low enough Staff is low paid Upper Management controlling of House environment at expense of resident desires (no pianos)

Advice to Management

Follow your own stated philosophy and let the residents have little things they want, instead of dictating to them what they cannot do in their own home

former Residence Sales Manager, Olympic Peninsula, Washington

Former Employee - Residence Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Residence Sales Manager

I worked at Assisted Living Concepts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The residents and the families warm your heart and give you a reason to walk thru the community door each day. The staff are there because they have a heart and care about the vulnerable population they care for.

Cons

Way too many to post, but here are a few. Not enough staff to care for the needs of the residents. Dissent against the system and you find yourself unemployed. Bad survey and fines? Oh well - pay the fines and continue on with no changes. 70 hour weeks, 5 - 6 conference calls a week regurgitating the same stuff over and over. Told to be out of the building on sales calls 80% of your time, then want you in the building for 15% of your time for conference calls, and do all the computer work, event planning, etc. in the other 5%? And forget the bonus system. Big joke. Someone forgot how to do real math. 4 directors in one year. Staff turnover horrible. No consistency for the residents. I left because I finally said to myself that if I wouldn't let my parents live in the community that I worked in, I had no business moving other people's parents into the community. Continually told to move people in that were way beyond the care that staff could provide. Oh - no problem. Tell the resident or family to hire home health at an additional cost. ALC management has absolutely no clue on what it takes to care for the most vulnerable of adults who depend on us in their final years.

Advice to Management

You did good in getting rid of Laurie Bebo. Now how about thinning the rest of the upper management? Come to the houses and work along side the employees and see how well you can keep up. Spend time at the house level explaining why you can't deliver what ALC made you promise. Make sales calls to referral sources so that they can laugh at you and tell you why they will never refer to an ALC community. Explain to a family why their loved one died in your care due to lack of services. Sell ALC back to Extendicare - they ran good houses!!!! And pay your competent, dedicated, and compassionate staff what they are worth.