Associated Banc-Corp

www.associatedbank.com
  www.associatedbank.com
There are newer employer reviews for Associated Banc-Corp

Fine pay but bad management and stupid goals

Former Employee - Teller in Maple Grove, MN
Former Employee - Teller in Maple Grove, MN

I worked at Associated Banc-Corp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They paid me more than other banks to do less. They have a lot of technological advances that were nice to work with.

Cons

Management was unbearable. Once you're comfortable they really open up how things actually operate. Branch manager was pushy and cared only about the numbers and district manager belittled BM in front of other employees. The goals were unreasonable and caused harassment of customers and lying in order to keep your job. Kept just enough staff that if it was a slow day they would send you home, flip out over your lack of something to do, or tell you to read brochures. If someone called in it through off everything and branch manager would be upset over anyone calling in sick for themselves or their child (unless it was BM's child then it's totally ok to miss work).

-Numbers aren't everything
-If you tell employees they can't take their 15 minute breaks and freak out if they're 2 minutes late do not show up late every single day
-Customers do not want to be sent to a banker every time they come in so you can sell them crap
-Coaching is fine...but when it comes to the point of telling someone how to say "Hello" to a customer it's excessive

93 Other Employee Reviews for Associated Banc-Corp (View Most Recent)

Big ideas, poor execution and horrible management

Former Employee - Technology in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Technology in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Associated Banc-Corp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent salary, management has no idea what the staff is doing and does not care.

Cons

No clear direction, very "layered" management - not accessible and do not speak to their staff (don't have time and don't care). Very much a who you know environment, with dismal morale. Failure is the norm.

Forget the power struggle and focus on accomplishing something.

No Prospect for Career Advancement

Former Employee - Corporate Officer in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Corporate Officer in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Associated Banc-Corp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people I worked with were nice, as are most Wisconsinites. CEO Phil Flynn definitely has his act together; I was extremely impressed with him.

Cons

I worked for corporate, and I left Associated because I believed there was little prospect for long-term career advancement. Associated Bank really doesn't have a strong identity as a company (although I believe the CEO is trying to change that). I believe the reason for this is that the Bank is just an agglomeration of smaller Wisconsin/Midwest banks, and it didn't achieve it's current size by growing organically.

The reason I left was that Associated seems to only bring in outside talent to fix all of its (many) problems. Most of the Senior Executives hired under Phil's watch were hired from Union Bank in California or other outside banks. There were no in-house promotions (perhaps rightfully so). However, I left because I didn't believe that there ever would be any future in-house promotions; vacancies would continue to be filled from outside the company.

Overall, I just got the sense that no matter how well I performed, in 20 years, I had no chance at all of assuming a leadership position within the company (I have the credentials: an undergrad and grad degree from Wisconsin). However, this is the type of company you parachute into as an executive, not the type of company that will develop or invest in you.

Oh, additionally, I also found I was paid significantly less than my fellow co-workers who were hired externally. My advice would be to avoid starting your career here.

Create A Leadership Development Program